YouTube trying to tackle "dislike mobs"

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
In a new update on its (see below), YouTube executive Tom Leung says that the company is testing new ways to combat dislike mobs. YouTube has one fix that is already live, he notes — the ability to turn off the display for ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’, which is on by default. (Notably, this doesn’t prevent viewers from being able to like or dislike a video, which could impact its recommendation prospects. It just means that counts aren’t displayed).

Going forward, Cheung says, the company may consider turning the like/dislike display off by default — though he questions whether creators would invite that change, given that a positively-rated video can be a boon for viewership.

For more YouTube news, watch their latest video below:

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm really liking the creator insider channel! I think it's great they are trying to address this stuff. Some of the ideas in the comments are really good -- I like the "track WHEN someone leaves a dislike and show it on a retention-like graph" idea, and the "only let people dislike after they've watched a certain amount of the video" idea that people have come up with.

It also made me realize that YouTube really is one of the only places that still allows you to "dislike" a piece of content. A lot of social media sites only have a "like" button.... :eek:

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
My bet is that they got destroyed so hard by the dislikes on the Rewind video they want to remove dislikes altogether so that it won't happen again. To reassure the shareholders I suppose, the amount of dislikes showed how Youtube as a company is detached from its active audience, and instead of fixing the problem they pretend it's not there. For shame!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
"only let people dislike after they've watched a certain amount of the video"
This would have to also roll for 'likes' too.

Thankfully I do not suffer from 'dislike' troll army's on any of my channels. Of course I get dislikes sometimes, but not just for the sake of it to try hurt my channel.
I was watching a channel a few days ago. He had some 100k subs and allowed comments but hid likes/dislikes. I asked him why he hid the feature. And indeed his reply was 'Idiot trolls bud, thats why'.
Its a shame that a channel has the need(Or feel the need) to do this.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They're trying to avoid another Rewind 2018 debacle. So many things that YouTube pushes gets massively downvoted that they want to take away the ability to make things look bad, even when they deserve it.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Half offtopic, i really miss the facebook dislike button...

Guess that eventually Youtube will eliminate the dislike button as they will endup it is another politically incorrect hate act (duh!...) as long as the user can dismiss the video or channel in other ways.

Just a thought.

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
i dont see how removing a useless feature that no one really cares is going to make a bad video into a good idea. when people hate rewind 2018, they hate rewind 2018, simple, they can't stop feelings.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm really liking the creator insider channel! I think it's great they are trying to address this stuff. Some of the ideas in the comments are really good -- I like the "track WHEN someone leaves a dislike and show it on a retention-like graph" idea, and the "only let people dislike after they've watched a certain amount of the video" idea that people have come up with.

It also made me realize that YouTube really is one of the only places that still allows you to "dislike" a piece of content. A lot of social media sites only have a "like" button.... :eek:
I personally feel they should only have the like button because too many people take advantage of dislike button. I know the dislike button could be used to constructive criticism so you know not upload that type of content anymore,but people don’t really use it for that anymore and only use it too be mean to creators

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This would have to also roll for 'likes' too.
Yeah, no voting until you've at least watched a tiny bit of the video. ^^

Half offtopic, i really miss the facebook dislike button...
Was that ever a thing??! :eek: I turned off my facebook in 2011 and only recently turned it back on. I guess I missed out on the dislike button... :eek:

I kind of like that YouTube has some sort of a dislike button. I hate getting dislikes (and I'd really hate it if I had a dislike mob chasing after my content...), but it makes it so I can see what videos my audience initially likes, and what videos they initially dislike. I can also tell that by watching how many people unsubscribe from my channel when I post a video, but some of the people who leave a dislike stay subscribed.

I don't really understand why some people dislike videos from someone they are subscribed to, but some people do that... o_0 But, I think they are in the minority. I suspect that most people would just leave the video without doing anything if they didn't really like it. I'll sometimes try to leave a constructive comment if something feels off and is really bothering me about a video, but I won't dislike it... :eek:

Reactions: videoeditgr