YouTube the contentious Copyright strike and how to avoid it

DJzubon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I recently got a copyright strike form YouTube, my first one and hopefully my last one.

The reason was I uploaded a music video from an artist from another country and as the song was old it was featuring a band that had broken up, plus the video was openly available in a website called JpopSuki TV.

Well here is some advice on copyright strikes.

Q. How long does my copyright strike last for? A: A copyright strike lasts for 6 months of which will be taken away unless you get another copyright strike in the duration of the six months.

Q. Does this effect my monetization? A: No it will not, however, having a good standing reputation for your account means a lot, many YouTube partnership sponsors and backers will not associate themselves with an account with even 1 copyright strike and your ability to post longer videos is effected for the duration of the 6 months too as well as using external annotations, paid subscriptions, content ID appeals and live events.

Q. What can I do to prevent copyright infringement claims? A: Try to make use of original copyright free music in your videos if you are going to use music in your videos, YouTube has its own audio library:

Try to feature original content more, check any copyright backgrounds of movies and music, even if they are foreign, companies and distribution are global so many more famous artists in another country can and do track down use of their material around the globe.

Further information:

Search YouTube: What is copyright? Search YouTube

Search YouTube: infringement notifications

Search YouTube: Counter Notification

If anyone else has any advice for copyright strikes and how to avoid them please add to this thread.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your monetization wasn't disabled? Hmm, I've seen that's what they do now when you get copyright strikes for quite a few channels with AdSense.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Your monetization wasn't disabled? Hmm, I've seen that's what they do now when you get copyright strikes for quite a few channels with AdSense.
Yeah, usually even if you get a few ID Claims they might disable it. Hopefully you don't get any more in the future. :)

DJzubon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They did not disable my monetization, but like I said, it does affect you with potential sponsors and affiliates for your channel for the entire 6 month duration, you have to comply with the copyright school test and not receive anymore strikes in that time frame of 6 months and your account will not be affected, the strike will be removed and your account will be in good standing and look like nothing happened.

Adsense and YouTube monetization may be linked, but they are very different sites, you can connect your adsense to your own websites, blogs etc. but YouTube is very much only a plugin to Google Adsense.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Q. What can I do to prevent copyright infringement claims? A: Try to make use of original copyright free music in your videos if you are going to use music in your videos, YouTube has its own audio library:
Just a minor detail primarily of semantics. For practical purposes there is no such thing as copyright free music. What you mean is one of two things, either Creative Commons (usually Attribution 3.0 which states you can use it for commercial purposes as long as you give credit) or Royalty Free which is a pay once use whenever kind of license. Just make sure that if you use Royalty free that the license covers monetized online uses.

The only exception tends to occur around 70-90 years after the original recording was made at which point the recording becomes public domain.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently got a copyright strike form YouTube, my first one and hopefully my last one.

The reason was I uploaded a music video from an artist from another country and as the song was old it was featuring a band that had broken up, plus the video was openly available in a website called JpopSuki TV.

Well here is some advice on copyright strikes.

Q. How long does my copyright strike last for? A: A copyright strike lasts for 6 months of which will be taken away unless you get another copyright strike in the duration of the six months.

Q. Does this effect my monetization? A: No it will not, however, having a good standing reputation for your account means a lot, many YouTube partnership sponsors and backers will not associate themselves with an account with even 1 copyright strike and your ability to post longer videos is effected for the duration of the 6 months too as well as using external annotations, paid subscriptions, content ID appeals and live events.

Try to feature original content more, check any copyright backgrounds of movies and music, even if they are foreign, companies and distribution are global so many more famous artists in another country can and do track down use of their material around the globe.

Further information:

Search YouTube: What is copyright? Search YouTube

Search YouTube: infringement notifications

Search YouTube: Counter Notification

If anyone else has any advice for copyright strikes and how to avoid them please add to this thread.
Wow I didn't know that is affect your video length, I'll have to make sure I don't mess up on 2aplays then or I am screwed!!!

DJzubon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just a minor detail primarily of semantics. For practical purposes there is no such thing as copyright free music. What you mean is one of two things, either Creative Commons (usually Attribution 3.0 which states you can use it for commercial purposes as long as you give credit) or Royalty Free which is a pay once use whenever kind of license. Just make sure that if you use Royalty free that the license covers monetized online uses.

The only exception tends to occur around 70-90 years after the original recording was made at which point the recording becomes public domain.
The YouTube Audio library is completely free for commercial use, so does cover monetization; details of the artist and song name are given and lots are by silent partners, so you do not need to give any acknowledgment to the artist, there are also many other audio libraries and video libraries that do the same also picture libraries too.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
The YouTube Audio library is completely free for commercial use, so does cover monetization; details of the artist and song name are given and lots are by silent partners, so you do not need to give any acknowledgment to the artist, there are also many other audio libraries and video libraries that do the same also picture libraries too.
Doesn't make it copyright free. I'm not disputing that there are good free sources of music. Merely pointing out a common misconception about how copyright works. Make no mistake, there are license agreements for the YouTube music library. We just don't interact with them ourselves.

DJzubon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Doesn't make it copyright free. I'm not disputing that there are good free sources of music. Merely pointing out a common misconception about how copyright works. Make no mistake, there are license agreements for the YouTube music library. We just don't interact with them ourselves.
Yes there are, this is the information on it to clarify to any readers, however like I stated before it is better to use the music libraries which are free for commercial use whether it be on YouTube or another video site to avoid the copyright strikes you run the risk of or the copyright claims rendering your video un-monetized.

Your use of this music library (including the music files in this library) is subject to the YouTube Terms of Service. Music from this library is intended solely for use by you in videos and other content that you create. You may use music files from this library in videos that you monetize on YouTube.

By downloading music from this library, you agree that you will not:

• Make available, distribute or perform the music files from this library separately from videos and other content into which you have incorporated these music files (but not for standalone distribution).
  • Use music files from this library in an illegal manner or in connection with any illegal content.