YouTube Subs Boxes Changes - YouTube Beta Testing New Subscriber Box Algorithm

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with you. This trend of using algorithms to "personalize" our deliberate choices, seems to be a growing one. To me, it's irritating and a tad manipulative. Thanks for expressing so well why YouTube shouldn't jump on the bandwagon.

Alan Spicer YT Tips

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Reporter, Ranter, Comedian
I agree with you. This trend of using algorithms to "personalize" our deliberate choices, seems to be a growing one. To me, it's irritating and a tad manipulative. Thanks for expressing so well why YouTube shouldn't jump on the bandwagon.
do you think this harms smaller tubers?

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
do you think this harms smaller tubers?
I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective, but yes, it probably does. If you subscribe to a small channel like mine, because, say you knew someone who could benefit from it, YouTube could substitute their judgment for yours and show larger, more popular channels from my niche. You might never see an upload from me recommended on your homepage, never have your memory jogged about why you had subscribed in the first place, and I'd lose a potential fan. (Half the videos I watched on YouTube in the past, used to be on recommendation from someone who thought I'd find them useful/interesting!). So yes, this could definitely hurt small YouTubers.

Alan Spicer YT Tips

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Reporter, Ranter, Comedian
I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective, but yes, it probably does. If you subscribe to a small channel like mine, because, say you knew someone who could benefit from it, YouTube could substitute their judgment for yours and show larger, more popular channels from my niche. You might never see an upload from me recommended on your homepage, never have your memory jogged about why you had subscribed in the first place, and I'd lose a potential fan. (Half the videos I watched on YouTube in the past, used to be on recommendation from someone who thought I'd find them useful/interesting!). So yes, this could definitely hurt small YouTubers.
Ideally what do you think would be the best middle ground on this?

Reactions: MedTerms