Youtube SEO Techniques 2019

Matt Dean

Reaction score
Website
youtubegrowth.co.uk
Channel Type
Youtuber
How do we optimise a Youtube video with SEO?
Well, my friend. I’m glad you asked because I am about to break down some of the basic SEO practices that you can start using TODAY.
The purpose of SEO is to allow people who are searching for a topic, to find your content. Right, so how do we know what people are searching for?
Keyword Research
Keyword research is the single most important part of the SEO Journey, without it you are pretty much leaving it to chance that someone will stumble upon your video and engage with it.
In order to properly perform Keyword Research there are a 3 tools that would come in handy.
Lets for arguments sake, say we are going to use the Google Keyword Planner we first need to identify some initial keywords that are somewhat related to the content of our videos.

Lets assume our video is about making strawberry jam. Our video title might be “How to make strawberry jam”. Viola that’s an exact match keyword that we can use to research other keywords!

Youtube SEO - Keyword Planner Results

As you can see, using the Keyword Planner, you get access to the average amount of monthly searches your key phrase gets.

Youtube SEO - Related Search Terms

Underneath is where all the good stuff is, this is where all of the broadly related search terms are shown as well as their average monthly searches.
See, by doing this we researched one search term that gets up to 10,000 monthly views and then found 6 related phrases totalling a potential 42,000 extra monthly searches!
You can drill down even further with more specific search phrases, the possibilities are endless.
Now granted, the Keyword Planner is a tool specifically for the Google search engine, but as Youtube is owned by Google it stands to reason that the data will be relevant on both platforms.
Cool, so now we have our keywords researched, whats next?
How to properly implement keywords into our videos?
First and foremost you need to determine the most important search term you would like to rank for. In this example we will use “How to make strawberry jam”
The title should be an exact match for the search term you are trying to rank for.
Next up we need to focus our attention to descriptions.
Descriptions have the most ranking power as you have over 5000 characters at your disposal so use them, however, Only the first 5 lines will be visible in the Youtube Search Results Page. So you need to make them count.
Like before we need to make sure we use the keywords we researched in the description and its a good idea to use your most relevant search term at least 3 times, we then need to add in some of the other keywords to the description as well.
Like I said you get a 5000 character limit, so use as much as you need to write a compelling description.
Side Note : An old hat SEO tactic used to be used was keyword stuffing, whereby people would add the keywords in a list fashion, this no longer works and is not recommended, make sure your descriptions first and foremost can be read by a human.

Tags Optimisation
The final stage in the optimisation plan is to use tags.
First and foremost you want to make sure your first tag is the primary keyword.
Followed by the other keywords you identified earlier in order of relevancy. You can determine relevancy in a number of ways but lets for this example order them by average monthly searches.
So Our tags would look like this
How to Make Strawberry Jam, Strawberry Jam Recipe, Jam Recipes,Making Jam,how to make jam,best strawberry jam,strawberry preserves
It is a good idea at this stage to add in a few keywords that will help the algorithm better detect the content of the video, use singular keywords like “Jam” , “strawberry” and “how to”.
By doing all of this you will be telling Youtube exactly what your video is about allowing their algorithm to sort your video into the search results.
As an added benefit, because we used the Google Keyword Planner, there’s a high chance of the video ranking on the Google search results as well, meaning more traffic to your videos!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaname

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know there was such a tool as the Google Keyword Planner.. will definitely be playing around with it.

xpdeus

Reaction score
Here is well known method to rank videos fast -

- make your video unlisted when you upload it
- include your keyword in title, description and tags
- buy high retention views/likes (on fiverr for example), 1-5k views will be enough
- make your video public (listed) after 24-36 hours (when all views/likes will be added)

You should hit youtube top 10 results (if your keyword is not hard, weight loss for example) target medium and easy longtail keywords

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
@MattDean thanks for some great tips.
I did not know that your first 5 lines are the ones that count the most. Also thanks for the tags tips, I didn't know about hte order importance. I always use my channel name first. I'll try some of these out.
Great luck bro.

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Here is well known method to rank videos fast -

- make your video unlisted when you upload it
- include your keyword in title, description and tags
- buy high retention views/likes (on fiverr for example), 1-5k views will be enough
- make your video public (listed) after 24-36 hours (when all views/likes will be added)

You should hit youtube top 10 results (if your keyword is not hard, weight loss for example) target medium and easy longtail keywords
Be very careful about this stuff because it is a double edged sword. Youtube will SLASH the Sh*t out of your views. A friend tried that & he got thousands of views in the first 3 days than on the fourth day he lost most of those views because of the Youtube algorithm. I was thinking about doing it but when he showed me his numbers I was like "ooof"
You can also apparently get suspended or banned if you abuse services like that.
I think their SEO gigs are legit though.
Just my 2 cents.