YouTube says fine to use but then...

Dave JrM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've been using copyrighted tracks for my videos recently, ensuring monetisation is turned off. I check on YT that I'm able to use it before I get started and then when the claim goes in, I'm expecting it.

However, today I had my video muted by a claim despite it saying it was open to being used. Now, I'm not going to argue with the system, I'll just go and re-edit the offending track (which isn't ideal). I'm just wondering how common this contradictory approach occurs with Content Id? Has it happened to anyone else? And are my only options to go royalty free?

Cheers,
Dave

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
What song were you using that was claimed/ muted?

Branden Morales

ENJOYING THE PATH OF LIFE. WHICH IS PIZZA.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Honestly I mean royalty free music may not be the best, but it is the safest /: You just have to be careful because somethings are copyrighted without you knowing. I'm sorry that happened to you mate! Keep your chin up though

morelikecappuccino

Be Kind: Please Rewind
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Honestly I mean royalty free music may not be the best, but it is the safest
I got a song off a massive youtubechannel that posts nothing but "safe royalty free music" Only to discover 5 months later they pushed a copyright on it.

OrbitalMusicYT

I dont trust anything I didnt pay money for anymore

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I got a song off a massive youtubechannel that posts nothing but "safe royalty free music" Only to discover 5 months later they pushed a copyright on it.

OrbitalMusicYT

I dont trust anything I didnt pay money for anymore
ROYALTY free music doesn't mean TOTALLY free.

ROYALTY free music means you pay upfront for a song, and then they won't take the ongoing monetization on the video.

There are songs released in creative commons (that usually have their own license requirements, such as attribution), and these are often totally free of monetary costs. The one problem you may experience with music in creative commons is that some people may use these songs in their own works, then try to copyright those derivative works, and then you might get a content ID match for that derivative work (which is a false match, but the system isn't perfect).