YouTube rewind 2017 is here

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I literally only recognized Markiplier in a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo and Poppy, and I only knew Poppy thanks to MatPat's video. They say MatPat was one of the zombies but I didn't recognize him. The spinners were cool because like it or not, 2017 was the year of the spinners.

But yep, another year come and gone and good ol Mark Rodriguez is not in Youtube Rewind. Oh well, maybe next decade.

I'd love to finally see the AVGN, Nostalgia Critic and hell... ReviewTechUSA in one of those things just so I can recognize them.

Last edited:

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Id like something more about their content than the people behind it. If you havent seen "animation vs youtube" give it a watch, I would say that does a more excellent job as a 'best of youtube' style video than these do.
I was really happy to see some animator friends in the ending though :)

but yeah lots and lots of samey looking people, I wont know how 'diverse and interesting' youtube is if they all look like they are from the same age range and all look like vloggers to me. (thats why showing a bit of their content instead would have been awesome)

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Here's the thing about the YouTube Rewind. It's marketed as this video to recap everything that happened on YouTube in the year, and it was kinda cool to watch when it first came out, but over the years you kinda just grow to realize that it's more of just an advertisement than anything.YouTube essentially just hand-picks the most advertiser-friendly creators they can, regardless of whether or not they really impacted the platform at all for the year. Something I found a little sketchy was that they were willing to give Jake Paul a lot of screen-time, which I mean, fair enough, considering he was one of the most talked about YouTubers of 2017, but they purposely didn't include YouTubers like PewDiePie or RiceGum. PewDiePie's been in a lot of controversy this year, but he was still a big part of the year, and he's still a very much relevant YouTuber. RiceGum, I'm not a fan of him, but the guy's literally on the same level as Jake Paul. He makes content that appeals to kids, has been incredibly relevant in the year, but I think the only reason they didn't include him was because of the Content Cop made on him by Idubbbz (who also should have been in the rewind, imo.) Jake Paul has gotten into more controversy than anyone on the platform combined, but they'll show favoritism towards him because he brings in the money.

And another thing.. They might as well rename it the Viner Rewind, because a vast majority of the people there weren't 'born and raised' on YouTube. They made a name for themselves on Vine, brought their audience over, boom instant channel. And I just think that's wrong. Sure, bring a few people over from the Vine community to maybe represent that, but at least wait until they actually establish themselves as YouTubers?

It's pretty much just YouTube saying "Hey, look advertisers! See how diverse and family friendly and left-wing we are!" I mean, you can't blame them, but it's moments like these where you see the business aspect really outshine the community aspect. Hopefully Susan actually follows her word to start listening to creators, because this wasn't an example of that. When the YouTube Rewind's getting more than half dislikes, that should be a red-flag to them.

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

Diversified Unison

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Other
This year it looks worse. One thing I really hate that they are constantly promoting bigger channels. I hope they were at least supporting some success of the smaller channels. At least that will help those channels to grow. Not only that youtube benefits from that too. Because they will expose viewers to other content creators and which make them interest to come back to youtube more. Which means more traffic=more ads=more money for youtube+content creator. I think that is what youtube is missing.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
This year it looks worse. One thing I really hate that they are constantly promoting bigger channels. I hope they were at least supporting some success of the smaller channels. At least that will help those channels to grow. Not only that youtube benefits from that too. Because they will expose viewers to other content creators and which make them interest to come back to youtube more. Which means more traffic=more ads=more money for youtube+content creator. I think that is what youtube is missing.
I'm kinda split with that opinion. On one hand, a vast majority people watching the YouTube Rewind have no idea who a vast majority of people in the YouTube Rewind are, so it'd easy to implement. No one's going to actually know the difference if they mixed in some smaller creators. But there's also a lot of bigger creators they aren't promoting, either. PewDiePie actually made a video talking about why he wasn't invited to the YouTube Rewind, and it actually ended up on the trending page, but YouTube themselves removed it. They've always been selective about who gets special treatment on the platform, regardless of how much of an impact they make. If YouTube's not going to listen to creator opinions on the YouTube Rewind, the least they can do is promote smaller channels (who especially need it because of all the adpocalypse nonsense going on). But if they're actually going to listen to the community and possibly even have creators voted in for nominations to the Rewind or something of the like, then it might be harmful to have smaller creators people don't really know about in it (unless the community votes on them, too.).

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
It just gets worse every year lol. Honestly I found all the parodies way more fun to watch haha. Just search "rewind 2017 parody" or "the real rewind 2017" or something similar.

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Cidsa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
As usual it's extremely corporate and "safe" which is all fine and dandy for what YT WANTS to put out there but that's just not the reality. I also noticed that it feels very much aimed at kids this time around which is interesting considering everything going on atm.

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
As usual it's extremely corporate and "safe" which is all fine and dandy for what YT WANTS to put out there but that's just not the reality. I also noticed that it feels very much aimed at kids this time around which is interesting considering everything going on atm.
I'm surprised they didn't include Spiderman and Elsa making out on the toilet in the YouTube Rewind, what with how YouTube defined kid-friendly content for the past few years.

Kevster

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The video was pretty entertaining for what it's worth. I cringed a few times. The part with the Paul dudes is a nooooo. But hey, free entertainment. Can't really complain. I recognized like 10-15 people probably, out of the billion they included. After watching the video and being reminded of several things and trends though, I've decided that 2017 is definitely the year I want to forget.