Youtube Retraction - Is it Worth It?

smashingtuck

Reaction score
I got hit with a copyright strike today for using a 10 second clip from a Thames Valley Police video. I used the clip because the officer in it had just been sued and the item I placed up was newsworthy and critical of the police's practises. I did not seek permission from Thames Valley because a) I intended to use the clip in line with UK laws of copyright and b) it was me that sued them!

I wanted to issue a retraction via Youtube's copyright process, but Youtube have a very narrow reason for using it. That the video was taken down in error or...uhm...that's it. Is it not possible to use Youtube's retraction to challenge the taking down of a video on the grounds that the clip was used lawfully, or is my only remaining option to issue proceedings against Thames Valley police without getting Youtube involved?

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
proceedings against Thames Valley police without getting Youtube involved?
Maybe I didn't get it right, but in the first place: what does Youtube have to do with your suitlaw against the Thames Valley police dept?

?

:)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
'fair use' is no use at all and completely discretionary.. anyone can challenge it. It's more of an American thing. Won't hold much water in UK. Sounds like a lot of conflict of interest & upset here. If your Youtube channel is important to you I'd put that first for now, and just take down the video or re-edit it using your own content only. Let a week or two go by and see if it's still important to you once your chilled.