Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I’ve been on this forum for a while now and there is one thing that I frequently see: unrealistic expectations. People who are expecting money, fame or subs when in reality, it really isn’t that simple.

Let’s start with talking about money. Youtube is NOT an easy platform to make money on. Disregarding people who are able to run a business in a niche that they might already work in, a lot of Youtubers are just gamers, fashion vlogger or travel vloggers with no budget or experience. Youtube is not just a platform, but a business as well. They don’t exist to generate money for you, they need you to meet certain expectations to avoid losing money themselves. That is why they are constantly tweaking the monetization rules. Making a living out of Youtube is hard. You might point fingers at bigger Youtubers saying ‘but they are doing it’, but they probably had different circumstances and above all, a lot of luck.

Yes, luck is involved. But I don’t want to disregard their time and effort hey put into in. Most of the really big Youtubers that are still around today started their channels 5, 8 or even 10 years ago. They’ve been doing this for a very long time and probably without a profit for 80% of the time they have been doing it. People on this forum who are looking to ‘make it big’, be ready to invest a hell of a lot of time and effort and be patient. YT fame doesn’t happen overnight.

Talking about fame. You might again point fingers to people who started a channel and hit 1k or 10k within their first month. These people often have different circumstances working in their favour. Having a famous family member, being friends with a Youtuber that is already big, or bringing an already established fanbase with you from another platform (Instagram, Vine) will of course influence your growth immensely. Don’t compare yourself to them, but look at people with a similar starting point to adjust your growth expectations.

Your growth expectations are probably mainly focussed on the amount of subscribers and views you have. As I said, don’t look at successful Youtubers and expect the same amount of growth they are having. You won’t get your first 100 subs in a month. Think in terms as half a year, or maybe a year, depending on your type of content and how much you (can) upload. Youtube is especially sensitive to exponential growth. This means it will be VERY SLOW in the beginning, but will probably pick up as you get more subs. A LOT of people mention that getting their second 100 subscribers took them way less time than those first 100.

This snowball effect is due to multiple reason. First, as you have more subscribers, you are more likely to grow a fanbase that supports your channel with views, likes and they might even recommend others to go check out your channel. Another, and probably the biggest, factor is Youtubes algorithm. The algorithm looks for popular videos to put in trending and related videos to put in the recommended section. The more views and likes your video has, the more likely it is that the algorithm picks it up, recommending it and leading to even more views. The snowball effect, if you will.

So, I guess what I wanted to say with this wall of text is: Adjust your expectations and be patient. Work hard on your channel, enjoy making your videos and let everything else come as it comes. Not everyone will be the next Pewdiepie, but at least you can celebrate hitting your own milestones as you slowly grow bigger and bigger :)

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you for creating a good post! A lot of people join YouTube with very high and immediate channel growth expectations, but there is a lot more to growing a channel than just creating videos. ^_^
Yeah, it's the number one thing I notice on this forum (number 2 being that a lot of people don't know how to use a forum xD). It's a bit of a rant, but I hope it will be helpful for at least a few people.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
very true, and very good advice, patience is the best way to go! I also want to stress that if your not seeing results, concentrate on improving, and listening to any criticism, and most importantly, enjoy the process, like a hobby :)

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
very true, and very good advice, patience is the best way to go! I also want to stress that if your not seeing results, concentrate on improving, and listening to any criticism, and most importantly, enjoy the process, like a hobby :)
Reviewing yourself is always very important! But most important is to do it for yourself, not for some external factor (subs, fame, money). Indeed, enjoy the journey!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn EVA-L09 met Tapatalk

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great points. No one is entitled to success, and past success doesn't guarantee future success. The flip side is that past non-success doesn't mean things won't ever change, quite often when you're thinking about giving up, things change dramatically.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I agree to all above. I will just add one more thing and that is some people are naturally not suitable for youtube or any other public things. What I mean is that some people are shy, or don`t have the charisma, enthusiasm, so something is missing in that equation. I am telling this from experience and I am still working on this to improve it on myself. You can make great video quality with nice editing effects and everything, but if you don`t have that something in yourself, I think you cannot expect success. A lot of people saying I am regularly publishing, good content, good video quality, but this is the main factor that is missing for success - work on yourself!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
Great advice! Thanks for taking the time to write that! You know, the barriers to entry are so low, and the tales of success so frequent, that everyone believes they can do it and be famous.

But it's like showing up at Wimbledon and reckoning "this looks easy, I'll give this tennis lark a go".

At the same time, you don't know unless you try. But if you are a year in and it's not working, then try something else, make related, but different videos, a different angle or take on your niche etc.

Give it a go, but don't assume overnight success is waiting!

Great post and sensible advice from Dutchie In England.

And it didn't come across as a rant, at all, in case you were worried :)

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You know, the barriers to entry are so low, and the tales of success so frequent, that everyone believes they can do it and be famous.
I think this is indeed a big part of those unrealistic expectations people have from Youtube. The tales of success are frequent, but people often forget the tale of years and years of hard work that went before it.

And it didn't come across as a rant, at all, in case you were worried :)
Okay, good xD It did feel kind of ranty.

Samira

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve been on this forum for a while now and there is one thing that I frequently see: unrealistic expectations. People who are expecting money, fame or subs when in reality, it really isn’t that simple.

Let’s start with talking about money. Youtube is NOT an easy platform to make money on. Disregarding people who are able to run a business in a niche that they might already work in, a lot of Youtubers are just gamers, fashion vlogger or travel vloggers with no budget or experience. Youtube is not just a platform, but a business as well. They don’t exist to generate money for you, they need you to meet certain expectations to avoid losing money themselves. That is why they are constantly tweaking the monetization rules. Making a living out of Youtube is hard. You might point fingers at bigger Youtubers saying ‘but they are doing it’, but they probably had different circumstances and above all, a lot of luck.

Yes, luck is involved. But I don’t want to disregard their time and effort hey put into in. Most of the really big Youtubers that are still around today started their channels 5, 8 or even 10 years ago. They’ve been doing this for a very long time and probably without a profit for 80% of the time they have been doing it. People on this forum who are looking to ‘make it big’, be ready to invest a hell of a lot of time and effort and be patient. YT fame doesn’t happen overnight.

Talking about fame. You might again point fingers to people who started a channel and hit 1k or 10k within their first month. These people often have different circumstances working in their favour. Having a famous family member, being friends with a Youtuber that is already big, or bringing an already established fanbase with you from another platform (Instagram, Vine) will of course influence your growth immensely. Don’t compare yourself to them, but look at people with a similar starting point to adjust your growth expectations.

Your growth expectations are probably mainly focussed on the amount of subscribers and views you have. As I said, don’t look at successful Youtubers and expect the same amount of growth they are having. You won’t get your first 100 subs in a month. Think in terms as half a year, or maybe a year, depending on your type of content and how much you (can) upload. Youtube is especially sensitive to exponential growth. This means it will be VERY SLOW in the beginning, but will probably pick up as you get more subs. A LOT of people mention that getting their second 100 subscribers took them way less time than those first 100.

This snowball effect is due to multiple reason. First, as you have more subscribers, you are more likely to grow a fanbase that supports your channel with views, likes and they might even recommend others to go check out your channel. Another, and probably the biggest, factor is Youtubes algorithm. The algorithm looks for popular videos to put in trending and related videos to put in the recommended section. The more views and likes your video has, the more likely it is that the algorithm picks it up, recommending it and leading to even more views. The snowball effect, if you will.

So, I guess what I wanted to say with this wall of text is: Adjust your expectations and be patient. Work hard on your channel, enjoy making your videos and let everything else come as it comes. Not everyone will be the next Pewdiepie, but at least you can celebrate hitting your own milestones as you slowly grow bigger and bigger :)

Well said. I wish those people wpuld read this and understand. Im in youtuber facebook groups and the amoint of pwople that complain about the youtube system and not gaining views or subs ... frankly it annoys me sometimes, for me its obvious that youtube isnt gifting out money but people dont seem to understand that being big on youtube is like running your own bussiness and big youtubers dont just make their money from youtube they have side bussinesses like selling merch or at least having a patreon

But your post put it to the point