• Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Youtube punishment for coming back?

jucarave

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm glad I finally found this community, seems to be a great place.

I started my channel back in 2011 uploading tutorials about game development but I didn't really thought much about youtube, I used it mostly as a video upload service, back in the day I got a decent boost for being one of the first on the topic (I think), but I left it very soon after starting because of life reasons... I wanted to go back now and mix my content with not only tutorials but talks and other types of videos all related to game development,

Thing is, that since I left for so many years most of my subscribers are not interested in watching my content (understandable, who knows what they are they doing nowadays) and taking a look at my analytics I know that my content is not being recommended at all, all the views that I got are from people looking for my name or an specific thing I taught back in the day. And all my new subscribers arrive from my old content.

My new videos are received well enough (considering the small views I get anyways), so I don't think it's because the content itself.

So the thing is, I always hear from youtubers about not being able to take a break because the algorithm will punish them, and I'm seeing smaller channels with similar content getting way more views than mine, so I don't know if I'm just paranoid and maybe I'm just bad at youtube, or it's there something else.

So my question is:

considering that I'm changing the focus of my channel, should I push on with few views until youtube notices me again?
should I try with a new one (I will not loose that many views, and it will make sure that my new subs are for my new content)?
should I just git good?
something else?

Anyone out there with similar experiences?

thanks a lot :)