YouTube no longer allow monetizing channels under 10,000 views??

SgtJarrus

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to open new topic, and way too lazy to search topic with 10 pages with title something like: "Is YouTube dying?". So I'll post here. ^^

I remember days when Twitch was just a start. My friend who lives 2 blocks away was always into Twitch more then YouTube. I remember when Twitch was like only Leauge of Legends, CSGO, maybe some World of Warcraft ... and nothing more. He always watched LOL match streams. That was the time when riot had like 1M followers, and all the others were on 200k max. And now it's waaay different.

I also remember my first youtube start, it was ~3 years ago. About the same time when YT opened momentization for everyone in 70-30 split (not todays 55-45). I also remember all that $h17 about PewDiePie, Sam Pepper, and other guys. I think that everyone remembers Sam Pepper killing prank.

With todays situation: I think that Twitch has potencial to kill YouTube. Even if you don't wanna admit it... Twitch will probablly have the main word about YT's future ... at least in terms of gaming. If some guys won't just play games like LOL, CSGO and WOW. There might be YT end.

Your opinion?

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm too lazy to open new topic, and way too lazy to search topic with 10 pages with title something like: "Is YouTube dying?". So I'll post here. ^^

I remember days when Twitch was just a start. My friend who lives 2 blocks away was always into Twitch more then YouTube. I remember when Twitch was like only Leauge of Legends, CSGO, maybe some World of Warcraft ... and nothing more. He always watched LOL match streams. That was the time when riot had like 1M followers, and all the others were on 200k max. And now it's waaay different.

I also remember my first youtube start, it was ~3 years ago. About the same time when YT opened momentization for everyone in 70-30 split (not todays 55-45). I also remember all that $h17 about PewDiePie, Sam Pepper, and other guys. I think that everyone remembers Sam Pepper killing prank.

With todays situation: I think that Twitch has potencial to kill YouTube. Even if you don't wanna admit it... Twitch will probablly have the main word about YT's future ... at least in terms of gaming. If some guys won't just play games like LOL, CSGO and WOW. There might be YT end.

Your opinion?
I don't think there's an end to YouTube, not even in the far future as it's still a great video streaming site. However, it's not so good when it comes to live streaming. For live videos, Twitch does it better in my opinion, especially with gaming.

SgtJarrus

Reaction score
Wanted to say: I've watched video about 2 days ago, about one famous youtuber in my country. He basicly said that he puts 2 clips online a day, it takes him all day to record, edit, and he puts video online on 2 AM (!!), so the video will be online in 6 AM. He looks like he's not been sleepin' for 2 weeks. :D I still think that Twitch will have main word in terms of gaming on YouTube. I also know some small YouTubers who has like less then 10 000 subs. I've been very good with some of them. And they all kinda decided to go with Twitch and taking a break from YT.

My point is: Twitch has become a live version of YouTube, and I think that most people prefer it. But they just kinda needed a little push. And that is all the stuff around YouTube ads/CPM, PewDiePie, Sam Pepper and others. I think that is the push to go towards Twitch.

Clarissa O. & Emily G.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow. I mean, I understand the "Why" behind this. But I will say getting views for me has been a bit of a struggle. I am almost at 5k views but that is over 2.5 years. Granted.... I took a break for 1.5 of those years due to some personal issues, but have gone full force into Youtube and really pushing my channel and I hope it doesnt take too long to reach that 10k. Do you guys have any advice on getting views?

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I mean you can't really be making any money even at 10k views, so this is probably for the best. It might also convince people to keep their ads disabled for longer as it should help your channels grow!
What's with the idea that no ads equals more growth? I've found the opposite, no ads and my growth dropped off a cliff, new views down to a third of what it was with the ads (I am factoring in how many vids I'm making at any given time). Probably because YT won't make money off of my vids so they're not getting pushed as much

MechaJake

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Probably because YT won't make money off of my vids so they're not getting pushed as much
Now that is interesting! Does anyone else know if this is true?

I should have clarified but I was specifically talking about audience retention to help your channel grow. I don't know about actual view count but I saw a very noticeable difference in retention after disabling monetization. Literally went from 97% of the views dropping out after the first 2 seconds to around 60% dropping out. That's a pretty massive difference.

Reactions: Lekjih

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
10000 lifetime views shouldn't be too hard to reach though...
it's not. Almost anyone can achieve that threshold. My first channel from 2006 has like an aggregate of 50,000 views and the videos are absolute crap. Second had about a million views in 5 years and third got like 150,000 in like 2 years. It's not hard at all and that's with low quality stuff.

The Mach Project

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Now that is interesting! Does anyone else know if this is true?

I should have clarified but I was specifically talking about audience retention to help your channel grow. I don't know about actual view count but I saw a very noticeable difference in retention after disabling monetization. Literally went from 97% of the views dropping out after the first 2 seconds to around 60% dropping out. That's a pretty massive difference.
It's very much true. YouTube will not go out of their way to promote a video they can't make any money off of. A while back, I watched a youtuber named Vexxed going into detail about this and included some interesting statistics. I think the video was called "I made $10000 off of one video", and he starts talking about the MASSIVE drop in views during his livestream after he disabled monetization. I think it was halfway through his video when he talks about this.

Bottom line - monetize!

MechaJake

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's very much true. YouTube will not go out of their way to promote a video they can't make any money off of. A while back, I watched a youtuber named Vexxed going into detail about this and included some interesting statistics. I think the video was called "I made $10000 off of one video", and he starts talking about the MASSIVE drop in views during his livestream after he disabled monetization. I think it was halfway through his video when he talks about this.

Bottom line - monetize!
Well damn! Alright, guess I'm gonna switch it all back now XD. Thanks!

NoSkillScrub

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
While I understand the mentality behind the concept of youtube promoting monetized videos vs non I dont believe it to be true. Even if there was a difference it would most likely be almost negligible. Youtube puts much more weight on views and watch retention over anything else even SEO. With that said though I dont advocate turning off advertisement on your videos. It is better to just leave them on and your audience will adjust. Its not like your videos are the only ones out there with ads on them, they have become such common place that people sort of expect them at this point. New visitors to your channel may as well get used to your videos having ads on them, unless you plan on keeping ads off forever, because turning it on in the future may cause a disrupt in your views because people will not like the change.