YouTube no longer allow monetizing channels under 10,000 views??

TheBeardedMountainBiker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
While I understand the mentality behind the concept of youtube promoting monetized videos vs non I dont believe it to be true. Even if there was a difference it would most likely be almost negligible. Youtube puts much more weight on views and watch retention over anything else even SEO. With that said though I dont advocate turning off advertisement on your videos. It is better to just leave them on and your audience will adjust. Its not like your videos are the only ones out there with ads on them, they have become such common place that people sort of expect them at this point. New visitors to your channel may as well get used to your videos having ads on them, unless you plan on keeping ads off forever, because turning it on in the future may cause a disrupt in your views because people will not like the change.
That's a very valid point you make there, I hadn't considered it from that point of view.
Personally I've decided to leave ads on...not that I'm anywhere near 10k views but I completely agree that having to watch an ad has become such common place.

Reactions: NoSkillScrub

Michael Lunatic

Cosplay Videos|Comedy|Unboxings
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Other
I've made £10.00 so far in 2 years, can't access it to give to charity till I've made £60.00 through Adsense. So nothing has changed for me much. Can't wait till my channel has made a difference though.

TheBeardedMountainBiker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've made £10.00 so far in 2 years, can't access it to give to charity till I've made £60.00 through Adsense. So nothing has changed for me much. Can't wait till my channel has made a difference though.
Thats actually a really good idea! I fully understand the £60 limit before you can withdraw, but it would be great if they had the option to donate at any amount. They could have a buttons for each charity (a select few) and you just chose the charity and amount to donate...now there's an idea.

Michael Lunatic

Cosplay Videos|Comedy|Unboxings
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Other
Thats actually a really good idea! I fully understand the £60 limit before you can withdraw, but it would be great if they had the option to donate at any amount. They could have a buttons for each charity (a select few) and you just chose the charity and amount to donate...now there's an idea.
Yes it might be worth emailing YouTube, Google and Adsense to see if they can implement that into the system :)

MAGnify

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Even being a new YouTube just under the 1,000 view benchmark I agree with the choice from Google to do this, or YouTube whichever you prefer. If you are true to being a real YouTuber, 10k views is a reasonable amount and even being a new YouTuber if you are dedicated it should only take a month or two, maybe more maybe less depending on your growth. Creating the monetization threshold to 10k is a good move because not only will it provide rewards for those who are dedicated, but it levels out the playing field for those who are deemed worthy of staying on YouTube. Sometimes ad companies will place ads on less popular channels, and then some more popular ones do not profit; well now this means more ads will be in circulation for those who are dedicated.

Reactions: Shweebe

ThisisJericho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't really know the reason why they had to make this 10k view rule. Oh well. I guess we can all strive to get 10 vids with 1k view or 100 vids with 100 views or maybe 1000 vids with 1 view each

Shweebe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The article is correct, the youtuber helper Roberto Blake dedicated a video to this to help everyone understand why YT decided to do this. In my personal opinion I think it's a great idea, 'cause you're not really making much money before that anyways. Also if your channel has already reached 10k lifetime views then you don't have to worry about it.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd say this is a good thing. In my other channel which I was a main collaborator for, we have had over 200 videos, with a maximum revenue of a little over $45, I mean, with less than 10K views, you aint gonna be earning anything over $5 and you can't even claim it if it doesn't reach a certain amount anyway! Just seems like a sensible idea from Google

Reactions: The Mach Project

The Mach Project

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I mean, with less than 10K views, you aint gonna be earning anything over $5 and you can't even claim it if it doesn't reach a certain amount anyway! Just seems like a sensible idea from Google
Exactly this! Even in the scenario that ALL 10K of your views could've been monetized, that would only be around $100.

This move from YouTube will help catch botters and give them time to review a channel's content, to show advertisers that they're serious about addressing their concerns. And we NEED those advertisers' money-I mean...trust!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Exactly this! Even in the scenario that ALL 10K of your views could've been monetized, that would only be around $100.

This move from YouTube will help catch botters and give them time to review a channel's content, to show advertisers that they're serious about addressing their concerns. And we NEED those advertisers' money-I mean...trust!
I totally agree with you! And with most channels for the first few videos (unless it's a second channel to a bigger one, or they are well known elsewhere), the chances are that views will be low anyway! I mean, I'm not in YT for the money, it's a nice secondary feature to have, but it should never be the be all and end all, it's supposed to be fun!