YouTube NextUp 2018 is coming

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
YouTube hosts a competition called "NextUp" each year where they select a few channels they think will be the "next up" and coming content creators for the platform. Creators with between 10,000 and 100,000 subscribers can apply for a chance to go to a NextUp "YouTube Creator Camp" at their closest YouTube Space.

The Creator Camp is a 5-day course where YouTubers network with other creators and learn about video production through short video assignments. Attendees also receive channel coaching -- a benefit normally only available for channels with over 100,000 subscribers (the "silver" level).

Graduates of the program also receive a voucher for new equipment worth $1,000 (or local equivalent) at a selected retailer.

Here's a link to the competition website:
https://www.youtube.com/yt/creators/nextup/

Applications for some camps launch in June 2018. The current eligibility requirements are as follows:
  • 10,000 - 100,000 subscribers
  • YouTube Partner with monetization enabled
  • YouTube account is in good standing
  • Uploaded at least 3 newly-created videos in 90 days
------------

I know at least 1 YTtalk member, @PictureFIT, has attended the camp. Here is his thread about it from a few years back, if you would like to read it:
http://yttalk.com/threads/youtube-nextup-winner-will-be-sharing-my-camp-experience.229121/
He seemed to have a positive experience! : D

I thought I'd share the news at YTtalk to let everyone know about the new competition starting! It sounds like a great opportunity for channels who have found some initial traction. Making it to 10,000 subscribers is difficult, but I think it is possible to achieve with a lot of work, dedication, and time.

What do you guys think? If you reach the current requirements, do you think you will apply? Or if you don't reach the requirements quite yet, do you think you might apply to a future camp? ^_^

More personally, I wasn't even close to 10k the first time I heard about the competition and initially somewhat dismissed it thinking I'd never get there -- but I've somehow magically made it over that threshold over the years. I need to make sure I fulfill the 90-day video requirement, but I kind of want to apply and see what happens! It sounds like a lot of fun, but I also realize they have just 2 camps in the United States, and thousands of applicants...so... imo, it seems a bit unlikely to win, but you don't know what might happen unless you apply! ^_^

Last edited:

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
When i get to 10k I’ll be signing up. But after all of the frustration of building up to 10k with no help from YT I don’t know what I’d say to them if I actually got in the door! Picture fit post is a must read for sure

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Thanks for posting this, @KatyAdelson :)

This is a great opportunity to anyone who meets those criteria!

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m not there yet, but if I do get there I will sign up. It’s probably unlikely but it’s better to try than to not try at all.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If it's anything like it was when I went, it's 100% worth signing up for if you meet the criteria. This is especially true for those that rely on a lot of good camera work. Their cinematography lectures are great for just a 5-day course. Also being able to interact with your fellow creators can give you some wonderful insight that you haven't come across. Anything to give you a better understanding of the inner workings of YouTube and being a creator is immensely helpful. I hope they still comp for hotel stays and flights. It's 100% worth it.

If you guys have any questions about my experience, feel free to ask!

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would love to merge with other content creators and learn and thing or two. And I sure do love competition. It's quiet lonely, knowing none of your friends aren't into content creation. I'd def sign up when I get there.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I was hoping that I'd be eligible by this year to get to NextUp, but I'm only halfway (or not quite) to the 10K subs goal. But it's an interesting opportunity for those who participate, I know!

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really want to hit that 10K subscriber goal on my automotive channel someday. I am about 3,5 years away if my gains continue at their current average so I know it’s possible. I know I won’t apply for the program however. I am more of a hobbyist YouTuber. I can only produce 1-2 videos on my main a month. The gaming channel is easier to create content for once I truly kick that one off, way less edit intensive! I’d actually be salty if that channel were to take off LOL! Still, more of a hobby there too. I just can’t see myself doing it as an actual job. Wait... I CAN see myself doing it as an actual job, but the realist in me tells me it won’t happen. If I had the capability it would have already happened. Been at this game for quite a few years. Definitely hobbyzoned. Loving it regardless.

ProXima123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oooh that sounds interesting. Honestly I don't know how long it would and will take me to reach 10k subscribers, let alone 100,000 subscribers. I am still going to try to get there though!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I thought I'd update this thread as a final reminder that the applications for the first round of camps close July 19th!! In the United States and United Kingdom, they also require four short 200-words-or-less essay questions to be answered:

New York*:

1. Why it’s important for African American voices to be represented on YouTube
2. How You think of Yourself as a role model for this community
3. Why You entered the Contest and what makes Your Channel stand out, and
4. How You plan to take Your Channel to the next level over the next year

Los Angeles:
1. Why it’s important for Latino/a and Hispanic voices to be represented on YouTube
2. How You think of Yourself as a role model for this community
3. Why You entered the Contest and what makes Your Channel stand out, and
4. How You plan to take Your Channel to the next level over the next year

London:
1. Why it’s important for female voices to be represented on YouTube
2. How you think of yourself as a role model for this community
3. Why You entered the Contest and what makes your Channel stand out, and
4. How You plan to take your Channel to the next level over the next year

If you are applying to other camps, please make sure to read the PDF they have attached as the essay questions are different.

*Note that I believe there is a typo in the PDF for New York as they say they want an essay about Hispanic voices, but the actual website form says African American. Their "Special Edition" note also seems to be swapped with New York vs. Los Angeles. It's a little confusing, and I decided to write the essay based on what the actual form said it required. I think it makes the most sense that Los Angeles might be "Special edition: #YouTubeLatino," and New York might be "Special edition: #YouTubeBlack," but that's my assumption based on the forms the site provides...

Interesting questions. As an American, I decided to apply to the Los Angeles one, but I'm definitely not an African American or Hispanic / Latina channel, so...I tried to answer the questions as best as I could. I'd imagine those types of channels might have an extra emphasis this year! ^_^

Good luck to everyone! : D

Last edited: