YouTube managers let toxic videos run rampant [article]

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Very interesting article by Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-04-02/youtube-executives-ignored-warnings-letting-toxic-videos-run-rampant

Here's a sample:

The massive “library,” generated by users with little editorial oversight, is bound to have untrue nonsense. Instead, YouTube’s problem is that it allows the nonsense to flourish. And, in some cases, through its powerful artificial intelligence system, it even provides the fuel that lets it spread.

Wojcicki and her deputies know this. In recent years, scores of people inside YouTube and Google, its owner, raised concerns about the mass of false, incendiary and toxic content that the world’s largest video site surfaced and spread. One employee wanted to flag troubling videos, which fell just short of the hate speech rules, and stop recommending them to viewers. Another wanted to track these videos in a spreadsheet to chart their popularity. A third, fretful of the spread of “alt-right” video bloggers, created an internal vertical that showed just how popular they were. Each time they got the same basic response: Don’t rock the boat.

Full story (very interesting description of what is going on inside YouTube) : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-04-02/youtube-executives-ignored-warnings-letting-toxic-videos-run-rampant

Reactions: iratei

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I don't know. It is easy for the media organizations to point fingers and talk about what could have been done, etc. but this is a massive platform to manage. Trying to balance freedom of speech, engagement, political correctness and ethical content is not easy.

Reactions: zerocache

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I'm sure more and more toxic videos (example: Momo) will just keep popping up within videos or just uploaded in their entirety.
Perhaps Youtube needs to hire more employees to personally make it their full time job to find these videos and remove them along with the accounts associated to them. Or maybe a change in the way things are being uploaded is also the next step.

But wait a minute, I read that they aren't doing much of anything about this...cause they believe it's false. Oh well.
We'll just have to see where this goes I suppose. >~>

Reactions: Crown