Youtube Livestream Hardware/Camera Questions

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
I'd like to do a YouTube Livestream in a few weeks when I hit 5,000 subscribers, but have a few technical questions for those who have done it.

1. What camera and hardware did you use? Laptop? Tablet or phone? If phone, is it hard to see the chat window where your audience is communicating with you? If laptop, how do you avoid the dreaded "nose hair upshot angle?"

2. Does anyone have any experience using a DSLR to live stream? Specifically a Canon 70D? I've seen a few tutorials about streaming with a DSLR, but they either require expensive capture cards and software, or they use 3-4 open source software packages, hours of tinkering and a wing and a prayer.

3. Is there ANY way to do a test flight? A way to test your setup before going live? See if your upload bandwidth is sufficient, see if your camera works, mic check, etc?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

What works for me is a good 920c Webcam or better for high quality image and your average yeti/snowball set up mic.
Get OBS studio and learn how to use it.
Being you're first time? id dont go any deeper, dont bother with setting up bots or donations and just have a blast with your audience.
Lets on if it becomes a regular thing, start monetizing on it.

What works for me is a good 920c Webcam or better for high quality image and your average yeti/snowball set up mic.
Get OBS studio and learn how to use it.
Being you're first time? id dont go any deeper, dont bother with setting up bots or donations and just have a blast with your audience.
Lets on if it becomes a regular thing, start monetizing on it.

Thanks for the info. I've read up on OBS studio. As for the webcam, mind sharing what brand/model you use?

If you have a decent phone, say an iphone 7, stream from your phone on a tripod. Use the laptop to check out the chat. I'd say don't bother with something like OBS until you become a streamer more often. If you want to buy dedicated hardware, take advantage of the bestbuy deal for the blue yeti/ logitech c922 combo.

Back