Youtube Kills video quality! Please help!

Skan

Reaction score
Hello,

youtube.com/watch?v=NvLLxKGfpkI

Here is my video at 720p.
My recording software is Fraps. When i render with any program on my PC: Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro, After Effects, the video quality on my pc is like the source file recorded, but when i upload to youtube i experience a mass quality loss.

and...

File properties:
Downloaded video from youtube after uploading:
youtube.com/watch?v=-itnu-lLlKo
2 537Kbps, 1280*720, 25.000 fps, AVC (High@L3.1) (CABAC / 1 Ref Frames) 30 seconds and 10MB file size.

where the original file before upload has:
10.7Mbps, 1280*720 at 25.000 fps, AVC (PAL) (Main@L4.2) (CABAC / 3Ref Frames) 30 seconds and 41MB file size

Why does youtube makes this? its a gigantic quality loss over the original file!

Could anybody please tell me what's wrong? i'm trying to figure this out for one month already and i don't know anybody to ask anymore.
Please help!

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
When did you upload it? It takes time for it to be completely 1080p. Give it 10 mins or so.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
when you download the video back off youtube (I'm guessing you did it through video manager) they don't give you the original back.. they give you a highly compressed video!

EDIT - I would also recommend watching render settings tutorials for whatever program you're using as these give the recommended settings for your program when you're uploading the output to youtube.

jochem

where the fields are green and the air fresh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
i am sometimes having some frozen pixelated frames, but aside from that it looks ok.

TheSuperFunArt

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
they do this to reduce the memory, for example my camera usually all the lips i record for one video takes 17 gb and then i already reduce the memory when i upload it on movie maker. after editing the video will be about 300 mb and thats alot for a 4 min video, therefore youtube reduces it so that it does not suck up and slow down our internet. it probably will reduce it to 75mb or something like that.

Skan

Reaction score
Thanks for replies,

The video quality still looks awful, I searched for perfect (good) render settings, i think i tried every format at every setting at every bitrate, i do wish that the video will look as the original file looks.

This for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=65pvAINg2ME
Set it to 1080p or 720p and the video will not have frozen pixels or blurry image, as you can see there somewhere i already asked the uploader what are his render settings, i followed his settings, rendered with them and uploaded and the result is the one above. It is not even close to the quality it should be. And the quality of that video at 360p is better than mine at 720p.

And about the Downloading via Video Manager...i hear that it takes the video which is on youtube and give it to me with the same quality from that moment, and a 2 537Kbps bitrate compared to 10Mpbs is a huge difference and i don't understand why is youtube making it so bad.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Hello,

youtube.com/watch?v=NvLLxKGfpkI

Here is my video at 720p.
My recording software is Fraps. When i render with any program on my PC: Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro, After Effects, the video quality on my pc is like the source file recorded, but when i upload to youtube i experience a mass quality loss.

and...

File properties:
Downloaded video from youtube after uploading:
youtube.com/watch?v=-itnu-lLlKo
2 537Kbps, 1280*720, 25.000 fps, AVC (High@L3.1) (CABAC / 1 Ref Frames) 30 seconds and 10MB file size.

where the original file before upload has:
10.7Mbps, 1280*720 at 25.000 fps, AVC (PAL) (Main@L4.2) (CABAC / 3Ref Frames) 30 seconds and 41MB file size

Why does youtube makes this? its a gigantic quality loss over the original file!

Could anybody please tell me what's wrong? i'm trying to figure this out for one month already and i don't know anybody to ask anymore.
Please help!
I've ALWAYS heard that the quality is lower on youtube, but NEVER been able to tell.

Skan

Reaction score
I've ALWAYS heard that the quality is lower on youtube, but NEVER been able to tell.
What do you mean by that? there is a very big difference between the original video quality and youtube quality in my case.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
What do you mean by that? there is a very big difference between the original video quality and youtube quality in my case.
ummm... just cause you see it doesn't mean I do. I look at my video in imovie, then look at it on youtube, I'm like "umm... where's this huge quality difference... I can't see it..." But I'm sensitive to audio not visual, and when my friend Katherinejane001 makes my thumbnails, alot of times she sends me one and goes "actually let me brighten that up and get the colors right don't use that" then 15 min later I get a new one, and I can see no difference, but she claims there's a difference lol