YouTube is testing a new feature

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
YouTube is currently piloting a new feature that will showcase how many people are watching the same video at the same time:

The company is testing live view counts in its Android app, Android Police reports, which will display how many viewers are watching any given video concurrently. A handful of users reported seeing a ‘watching now’ figure below video titles — and right above the ‘thumbs up’ button (see below). Android Police notes that while several third-party websites provide live subscriber counts, this is the first time that concurrent viewership data on prerecorded videos has ever been available.

Full article and source: http://www.tubefilter.com/2017/08/14/youtube-piloting-live-view-count-feature-android-app/

Pretty cool right? This would be particularly useful after a new upload. Thoughts?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I can understand it for live videos, but a live views counter for recorded videos sounds pretty useless to me.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I don't see the point.
It's just like an Apple Watch. Totally unnecessary.

listed

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
i like the idea. look forward it it becoming a regular feature

Reactions: Mr.Human

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hmmmm...I don't know if this will alienate some videos that always seem to have "1 watching now" since people seem to prefer feeling "with a crowd," but I think it's kind of cool! I have a feeling it may help popular videos that always draw a crowd be shared rather than smaller videos, but then again, it might make no difference...

Reactions: Scapestrato

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It could have a small psychological effect on people watching, but if you can't interact with them while you're all still on the same video, I don't see the point. Maybe if there were some sort of chat feature built in, but a chat that doesn't sync up with the video (as it does on livestreams) isn't that helpful, I don't think.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like the idea of it and can see it generating more comments?

Reactions: babyteeth4

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Agree it could help drive comments, plus bring viewers and creators together.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah, I kinda miss the point. How often are you going to go to say.... that one video you posted 2 weeks ago and check to see if anyone is watching it NOW. Like some of you said before, it makes more sense with a livestream and those already tell you how many are watching.

3rdepsilon

Reaction score
i guess it could be useful to know how much people in your region are watching because the first people who watch are most likely going to be people in your timezone.