YouTube is Removing Videos - Are You Affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It can be hard to know what's appropriate... slippery slope! For example, should there be skits with nerf guns in them? We get weird comments from angry parents all the time about stuff we say that is totally normal in my book: don't ever exclaim: "holy smokes!"

That said, there are a couple of videos that Toy Freaks did that he should have probably taken down... filming a kid hurt on camera without their consent is probably a little more clear cut. I thought the vast majority of their vids were fine, though.
Agreed. Yt could easily flag inappropriate video via a community strike or... wait for it... an email from the channel rep. We all have one, I know they have gmail, it's not too hard to send a 1 line 'Hey TF, we think video 11, video 45, video 77 are not kid appropriate. Giving you a heads up they will not meet the NEW UPDATED community guidelines, we recommend you take them private to avoid strikes". So easy, takes 1 minute, inappropriate videos are removed, and TF have guidance on what's appropriate going forward.

Of course the real question is what's appropriate. And how do we set our channel for a certain age. Some videos are not appropriate for a 2 year old, but completely fine for an 11 year old. Yt should have a button, or tags, "kids1-2", "kids12-13". At least that would be clear guidance.

And not to mention individual parent personality, upbringing, religious views, etc, all have a bearing. What I find offensive someone might find funny, what I find funny someone may be turned off by. Is there a universal standard and definition? What about bias of the third-party contracted Yt reviewers? Cultural bias, life experience bias? Is that taken into account when deciding what's appropriate for a 4 or 7 or 14 year old? Questions, with little answers.....

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Are these giving community guideline strikes? I don't have any of those and I don't see any videos down from that. One video was flagged and age-restricted and my appeal on that failed. Good thing it wasn't very popular.

I do, however, currently have 4 copyright strikes with 7 total videos taken down for that (4 videos on one strike), in addition to the 50-60 videos that are going to be taken down in less than a week from all the copyright claims I appealed this week. That should be fun.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Are these giving community guideline strikes? I don't have any of those and I don't see any videos down from that. One video was flagged and age-restricted and my appeal on that failed. Good thing it wasn't very popular.

I do, however, currently have 4 copyright strikes with 7 total videos taken down for that (4 videos on one strike), in addition to the 50-60 videos that are going to be taken down in less than a week from all the copyright claims I appealed this week. That should be fun.
Dude you've got a completely different kettle of fish there. I don't think your channel is a pure play kids channel anyways, your target demographic isn't kids 2-12, or is it?

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Dude you've got a completely different kettle of fish there. I don't think your channel is a pure play kids channel anyways, your target demographic isn't kids 2-12, or is it?
Not sure what my target demographic is, but from my comments, most of them seem to be in the 6-12 range. None of mine are kids playing with things, but most of my videos are based on kids cartoons. I've gotten several complaints from parents or older siblings that the kid using their phone found my video and got freaked out and calling me a sick person. I always tell them the internet isn't safe for kids and direct them to the YT kids app.

But you asked if it was just kids toys channels that were affected and seemed to want to know who else was. I was providing data that mine wasn't so far.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not sure what my target demographic is, but from my comments, most of them seem to be in the 6-12 range. None of mine are kids playing with things, but most of my videos are based on kids cartoons. I've gotten several complaints from parents or older siblings that the kid using their phone found my video and got freaked out and calling me a sick person. I always tell them the internet isn't safe for kids and direct them to the YT kids app.

But you asked if it was just kids toys channels that were affected and seemed to want to know who else was. I was providing data that mine wasn't so far.
Ok cool thanks! It seems Yt is targeting channels with kid actors and use of copyrighted family friendly characters so far from what I have seen....

ericshift1

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks! It seems Yt is targeting channels with kid actors and use of copyrighted family friendly characters so far from what I have seen....
Seems the worst of it is definitely aimed at videos featuring child actors. I dont' think any of the trademark infringing type have been removed, just demonetized.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

P14

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm sorry that happened to you. While I don't really like toy channels, its very wrong of yt to remove videos you worked hard on without giving any reason.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Cooliits HR

Reaction score
Hey KTR. Sorry to hear about your 2 videos being removed. The last 2 video we made we got music copyright notice to both of them but were cleared just fine. YT is tightening our worlds eh. Just found out about TF being terminated. I was shocked. Really. As Stearman's Toy Review said is it back to toy reviews? I wonder what YT will do to kids video with "Killer Clowns" or "Don't do this at 3AM". I think a suggestion with the post above that when you publish a video, you can click an age restriction tab say ages 9-15 yrs would be helpful. It will filter the video going with the YT Kids App so these 2-5 years old don't get to watch "killer clown" videos. Still..TF gone...It's going to be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.