YouTube is Removing Videos - Are You Affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Salaj

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sure for kids channel, but parents are responsible what they watch and it's not youtube job to patrol every channel in existence and banning every "inappropriate" channel.Youtube, in the beginning, was all about you expressing your opinion and now due to this, many have given up on making youtube content, since freedom of speech and freedom of expression are quite limited.

Tin Salaj

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I am just trying to bring an argument that the saying thinks about children has been overused to death.None of my videos violate the youtube guideline, which I follow, but I stopped reading when he stated the "real" effects of teenagers on movies and games I mean that's, not an argument you can say without backing it up with real statistics and coloration does not mean causation.
Who will decide what is not suitable and what is?
I've been playing doom and contra and Duke Nukem 3d back in the day and that did not have any effect on me whatsoever.
Mind you I was 6-7 years old, so that statement is completely invalid.

ericshift1

Reaction score
Youtube has removed 2 of our videos. It appears the problem is widespread with major kids channels being affected.

Like a thief in the night - there was no email, no warning, no transparency. The only way I found it was scanning through Video Manager - Video - something I do daily now to see if Yt has changed anything without notifying us.

Are channels on here affected?

The videos that were removed - one was from Feb 4 2017, the other from Dec 11 2016. One had views of about 6M, the other over 62M. Apparently the video have been appropriate for about 1 year, and today suddenly became inappropriate.

Are you affected? Is this hitting kids channels only, or the start of a widespread cleanout of the platform?

Demonetization is drastic - what about deleting videos without consultation or notification, especially when YouTube has been promoting those videos for a year?

Why not age-restrict to those under 13 if YouTube so wish. Certainly the videos are appropriate to those over 13. There's a lot more edgy stuff than those 2 videos that 13 year olds watch on Yt.

More questions to ponder - what is "appropriate" - who judged this - one man's s**t is another man's treasure.

It's like someone breaking into your home while you sleep, stealing some of your prized possessions that you worked hard to obtain, and throwing them in the garbage - the only way you know about it is when you take out the kitchen trash in the morning, open the wheelie bin, and see your stuff inside.

View attachment 41398
It's only kids channels with videos involving children from what we're aware. Our network hasn't seen any removals (prmiarily fnaf & undertale related content, aimed at 8-12 yr old viewers), we also have 1 kids channel which hasn't had anything yet (but it's the adults in spiderman costumes type of thing). They did accidentally remove one of our videos about a year ago, but that was taken care of quickly (strike for spam I believe). @KiddieToysReview have you got 2 strikes now?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
There was a very good comment on the article I linked to above:

"With Disney, the business model is 'convince parents to pay to watch our stuff'. With YouTube, the business model is 'get as many views as possible'.

With Disney, you pay first, then get your video. With YT, you get your video first, and only 'pay' with a view. So yah, damn right people are going to do anything and everything possible to get a view instead of trying to create something good enough to sell BEFORE it is viewed."

I think that sums up the problem very well. I'm usually against all things censorship, but when kids are involved I do think something needs to be done. A kid just looks at whatever is presented to him / her and clicks on brightly coloured thumbsnails until someone tells him to stop. They're too young to understand that the content really isn't appropriate and unfortunately, the way the algo works, once he has clicked on some of the weird stuff and the more he/she clicks, the weirder it's going to get.

Compare that to kids TV actually on TV. That content has been manually reviewed and has been rated kid friendly before it even gets aired.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So back to toy reviews??..... I wonder if this will hit small channels too.. we didn't start getting hit with the yellow $ until a month after larger channels were.. ugh...

Last edited:

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's only kids channels with videos involving children from what we're aware. Our network hasn't seen any removals (prmiarily fnaf & undertale related content, aimed at 8-12 yr old viewers), we also have 1 kids channel which hasn't had anything yet (but it's the adults in spiderman costumes type of thing). They did accidentally remove one of our videos about a year ago, but that was taken care of quickly (strike for spam I believe). @KiddieToysReview have you got 2 strikes now?
No, they are doing this outside the strike system. It's basically a content purge across the kids vertical to bring it in line with current/updated Community Guidelines. If you check SocialBlade there are many large channels recording dips in views in the tens+ millions, this is the purge. It would not make sense (be fair??) to strike every kids channel this is happening to, since the CG were updated as a result of the adpocalyse. At least give kids channels a chance to reign in their content and bring it in line with the new expectations and CG. As you are aware, almost every kids channel has "bad baby" and "kids steal abc goes to jail" type videos, with these trends being originated by Toy Freaks.[DOUBLEPOST=1510951488,1510949179][/DOUBLEPOST]
So back to toy reviews??..... I wonder if this will hit small channels too.. we didn't start getting hit with the yellow $ until a month after larger channels were.. ugh...
Well, it's back to incredibly safe content. Youtube does not seem to distinguish between 1-3 year olds, 4-6 year old, 7-9, etc, etc. What a 9 year old finds funny and ridiculous may be frightening or worrisome for a 2 year old. It's a good question how to continue forwards. I want to make skits for 9-11 year olds, and I think our channel is 9-11 y.o. kid-friendly, but it certainly is not 2-4 y.o. kid friendly. Certainly not 100%, maybe 95% kid friendly for 2-4 year olds. But they are not really our target demographic.

So what to do? How to proceed?

JackJack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow, this is crazy! I just saw what is going on! KTR, you got quoted in the Tubefilter article.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

JackJack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It can be hard to know what's appropriate... slippery slope! For example, should there be skits with nerf guns in them? We get weird comments from angry parents all the time about stuff we say that is totally normal in my book: don't ever exclaim: "holy smokes!"

That said, there are a couple of videos that Toy Freaks did that he should have probably taken down... filming a kid hurt on camera without their consent is probably a little more clear cut. I thought the vast majority of their vids were fine, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.