YouTube is Removing Videos - Are You Affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube has removed 2 of our videos. It appears the problem is widespread with major kids channels being affected.

Like a thief in the night - there was no email, no warning, no transparency. The only way I found it was scanning through Video Manager - Video - something I do daily now to see if Yt has changed anything without notifying us.

Are channels on here affected?

The videos that were removed - one was from Feb 4 2017, the other from Dec 11 2016. One had views of about 6M, the other over 62M. Apparently the video have been appropriate for about 1 year, and today suddenly became inappropriate.

Are you affected? Is this hitting kids channels only, or the start of a widespread cleanout of the platform?

Demonetization is drastic - what about deleting videos without consultation or notification, especially when YouTube has been promoting those videos for a year?

Why not age-restrict to those under 13 if YouTube so wish. Certainly the videos are appropriate to those over 13. There's a lot more edgy stuff than those 2 videos that 13 year olds watch on Yt.

More questions to ponder - what is "appropriate" - who judged this - one man's s**t is another man's treasure.

It's like someone breaking into your home while you sleep, stealing some of your prized possessions that you worked hard to obtain, and throwing them in the garbage - the only way you know about it is when you take out the kitchen trash in the morning, open the wheelie bin, and see your stuff inside.

Video Removal.jpg

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup, a video of ours got hit yesterday afternoon and another one a few hours ago. I’ve seen other big channels being hit too, I can see it in my notification tab ( video removed and if you click on it it will show you the communty guidline removal text).

I emailed my YT manager and appealed to both removals. Now we wait and pray for not being hit again and reinstating the videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1510908003,1510907432][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems it’s game over for some, Toy Freaks and it’s other channels (freak world & freak family vlogs) are now gone from how it looks like to me.

Last edited:

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup, a video of ours got hit yesterday afternoon and another one a few hours ago. I’ve seen other big channels being hit too, I can see it in my notification tab ( video removed and if you click on it it will show you the communty guidline removal text).

I emailed my YT manager and appealed to both removals. Now we wait and pray for not being hit again and reinstating the videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1510908003,1510907432][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems it’s game over for some, Toy Freaks and it’s other channels (freak world & freak family vlogs) are now gone from how it looks like to me.
What? I'm checking, I can't find the main Toy Freak channel too?? Their other channels show now videos under that tab.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Well, I'm sure you are aware that kids channels are on YouTube's radar at the moment. Big time.

As you already know from this thread, YouTube announced at the start of the week that they'd be taking swift action on this. It looks like they started.

YouTube already had 1 public relations disaster this year with the major advertisers boycotting the platform and they don't want another one.

Now social media and the general public are highlighting all the inappropriate and junk content that is posted on so-called kids channels, designed solely to abuse the algorithm.

Link - https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

YouTube are forced to take action. It's got out of hand and people are sick of seeing it. People are even starting kids channels who don't even have kids! It's just gaming the system.

YT are trying to prevent another PR / legal disaster and obv they can only do this via automated means due to the huge amount of content. That means their filters won't be perfect but I'm guessing they'd rather that than yet another disaster, particularly with other platforms like Amazon and facebook eagerly looking on.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yep just finished reading that article on medium. There are valid points in it certainly. However I felt the author had an old rusty axe to grind with that article. I do recall watching Elmer and Bug Bunny and The Road Runner cartoons that had more violence, not to mention Elmer Fudd shooting bugs Bunny point blank in the face, when I was younger. Those seem much more violent than the "wrong heads" video the article's author had an issue with. Anyways...

Getting back on track, I'm bewildered a channel like Toy Freaks would be taken down. I find their videos are fine for 13+, certainly for 15+. Surely Yt can age restrict them and similar videos across the board. Demonetize them if need be, but leave the content up. Taking a whole channel down is overkill. It's like Amazon and Barnes&Noble suddenly deciding to remove all Stephen King books because of the scary clown and paranormal themes. Make them MA15 or R18, don't kill everything off.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
YouTube should make the kids app a paid subscription only service (just a few dollars per month) - Content would be manually approved by human beings and sorted by age. Once approved, creators would get a share of the revenue and so would Youtube. Parents would get the peace of mind that all content is age appropriate and I'm sure would be willing to pay for such a service.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would so agree with that. I would be happy to opt out of the kids app for our channel and make us clearly a 13+ skits channel. As long as things are clear and transparent, I'm very easy to get along with. If they can then give us a set of kws and topics they don't want videos to revolve around, I'll be dancing on the rooftops. Just make it crystal clear what you want and don't want on the platform, and I'm sure 99.8% of us kids channels will be only too happy to oblige.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube should make the kids app a paid subscription only service (just a few dollars per month) - Content would be manually approved by human beings and sorted by age. Once approved, creators would get a share of the revenue and so would Youtube. Parents would get the peace of mind that all content is age appropriate and I'm sure would be willing to pay for such a service.
Id pay for said service

Reactions: Crown

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yes would be a great, twitch does this, works great for them.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow. That freak channel sure has alot of view power and influence on the 2nd and 3rd channels! I'd say he hasn't been getting the message youtube has been trying to deliver through "mental telepathy" and they think 5-30 day suspension should pull him into line... maybe.

Never watched any of their videos so can't make any comment, just seen a 10 month old petition to ban them for child abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.