YouTube is Removing Videos - Are You Affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I heard that youtube has been cracking down on kids and toys channels, because of channels using costumes of Elsa amongst other things to do weird and awful stuff. It might be that youtube is cracking down on every channel instead of doing the work and check every channel.

ericshift1

Reaction score
There are several dozen metadata terms, either in tags, descr or title that were banned. Any of those would have led to individual video demonetizations or deletions, or whole channel demonetization or deletion, depending of how much you were "masquerading as family-friendly" [Yt term not mine]. Depending on your status now, there are several avenues being explored and worked with Yt, slowly but surely.
To my understanding channel demonetization is caused by a manual review, not just a "metadata" analysis.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To my understanding channel demonetization is caused by a manual review, not just a "metadata" analysis.
We ain't been in Kansas for a long time already, the "kids-safe demonetization" AI is running rampant.

Close to 100,000 channels demonetized....

Reactions: Gamayun

TigersToyBag

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We experimented with a skit and that was the only video that had an issue, so I am sticking with our toy reviews from now! None of our Thomas toy review videos received a strike, so I know what I will be focusing on for 2018. Characters and skits are a big no no.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
status.jpg

A little hard to read:

2016: all good, normal ad revenue
2017: all videos are demonetised, bad revenue
2018: videos become negative monetized, users have money forcibly taken from them
2019: all revenue is distributed eqully among all creators, users that break community guidelines are sent to gulag

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Those of you getting your skits demonetized, are they completely original (story and characters)? Our channel is 95% skits and nothing's been demonetized. Our skits are completely original and we don't rip off trademarked characters or anything like that.

That being said, it certainly would appear YT doesn't generally reward completely original kids content and I can see why it would be avoided by creators looking to make money on the platform.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Those of you getting your skits demonetized, are they completely original (story and characters)? Our channel is 95% skits and nothing's been demonetized. Our skits are completely original and we don't rip off trademarked characters or anything like that.

That being said, it certainly would appear YT doesn't generally reward completely original kids content and I can see why it would be avoided by creators looking to make money on the platform.
I think there may be a place for skits, but they need to be in line with the new guidelines. Your videos may be looked at when you get a jump in traffic. Some other channels have reported videos being green a day prior to live (on private) and then on live, but once the traffic ramps up they are yellowed. Simply due to the volume of videos the system has to work through, there may be traffic levels that need to be triggered before the AI scans the video. It's conjecture, since Yt is a secret squirrel, but it's the best working scenario we've got.[DOUBLEPOST=1513605375,1513605254][/DOUBLEPOST]
We experimented with a skit and that was the only video that had an issue, so I am sticking with our toy reviews from now! None of our Thomas toy review videos received a strike, so I know what I will be focusing on for 2018. Characters and skits are a big no no.
Skits can have a wide interpretation. You can have an educational skit, although no one would probably watch it. Ye it seems best to stay away from all trademarked properties, unless you're a content farm based out of vietnam, those seem to be getting away with lots of weird stuff. Toy reviews are safe, but they run the bank account down to zero fairly quickly. You need to get at least 200,000 views on a video to break even on the cost of toys and production (at current CPM rates for kids channels). The thing that gets me with toys review is to keep up with the big boys and girls, you need all the latest toys, and some of those are seriously expensive. Otherwise the low views from non-popular toys make the channel unsustainable (unless of course it's a hobby and there are other sources of greenbacks or roubles or whatever).

Last edited:

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

I'm sure it was mostly the "bad baby" tags I used in my titles and description (for trend purpose) that got us in trouble, plus we made videos that are what some parents consider a bit on the edge with naughty stuff. Now we are goody two shoes but it's much harder to think of skits now that are not a borefest for the kids. Before Youtube started removing them, the pattern would usually be that in the first day we lose monetization (probably due to flags of parents). Then I would hit request for review and almost every single video would get back to green after manual review. Then the adpocalypse started and videos that had just been verified and approved a few days before it started, got deleted under the "new" guidelines and they took monetization off for the entire channel. Doesn't make much sense to me that youtube reviewers thought it was fine for months and suddenly the next day they remove your monetization entirely and deleted all your stuff :-(
I've seen people steal our videos though that got deleted on our channel and while mine are nowremoved, they are alive, thriving and make money on them. Tried appealing but since the videos are gone, I'm stuck in a loop to get them removed. Creator support are useless as well so that is very annoying.
Looking at those people reuploading my deleted content it's obvious that Youtube is focusing on removing videos from the bigger guys out there (not <10k subs channels), probably reacting mostly on overzealous parents flagging any video we upload regardless of content and want us burned to the ground.

TigersToyBag

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think there may be a place for skits, but they need to be in line with the new guidelines. Your videos may be looked at when you get a jump in traffic. Some other channels have reported videos being green a day prior to live (on private) and then on live, but once the traffic ramps up they are yellowed. Simply due to the volume of videos the system has to work through, there may be traffic levels that need to be triggered before the AI scans the video. It's conjecture, since Yt is a secret squirrel, but it's the best working scenario we've got.[DOUBLEPOST=1513605375,1513605254][/DOUBLEPOST]

Skits can have a wide interpretation. You can have an educational skit, although no one would probably watch it. Ye it seems best to stay away from all trademarked properties, unless you're a content farm based out of vietnam, those seem to be getting away with lots of weird stuff. Toy reviews are safe, but they run the bank account down to zero fairly quickly. You need to get at least 200,000 views on a video to break even on the cost of toys and production (at current CPM rates for kids channels). The thing that gets me with toys review is to keep up with the big boys and girls, you need all the latest toys, and some of those are seriously expensive. Otherwise the low views from non-popular toys make the channel unsustainable (unless of course it's a hobby and there are other sources of greenbacks or roubles or whatever).
Wow! You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly the problem that I am having now as it has become very costly to stay on top of all the new toys when we are still a very new and small channel. We honestly feel a little lost right now with our channel because we don't know if we can keep up with big channels posting the new toys daily, and there are only so many toys! We might try to focus on a niche like trains and cars with pretend play. I noticed that the Naiah and Elli Show opened a new channel based on playing with dolls. I am wondering if they are branching out from their main channel now as well with all the changes. Kiddie Toys Review we have learned so much from you over the past few months, thanks for giving such good insight. It helps when you feel like your on your own island as a small channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.