Youtube is facilitating the sexual exploitation of children, and it's being monetized

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't personally feel it's being facilitated by Youtube per se. In my opinion this is more a fault in the algorithm itself. It's similar to twitch with the gambling for kids scandal. The difference with twitch and Youtube is that Youtube didn't make a place on their homepage like Twitch did with their gambling. It's just simply showing up in related videos. These videos are being popularised by people viewing it. As we all know watch time boosts up algorithm and thus the videos them self will be related to one another (most likely related due to the watch base watching similar videos). When I watch a few prank videos I see the algorithm will show me more prank videos because it analyses what I watch and associates that with the other content I watch. I imagine it would also compare that with people who have similar tastes to myself and recommend me more videos that are related. I definitely feel this may be one of the main reasons it showed up for a lot of people investigating. Because they were searching things to do with cheerleading or gymnastics for kids and then they would go down the rabbit hole which would alter what they are recommended in the short term. Both by related content and content viewable by other people that have similar interests yourself.

I'd also like to mention recently last year Tumblr censored itself greatly for a similar reason. Because of that these people moved to Youtube and twitter. I simply do not believe it's a websites fault this has happened. I do agree they should address the issue and deal with it but the problem is the algorithm was designed to make the Youtubes team be able to get more done. There simply isn't a quick fix. I really don't envy Youtube or any other website that has to deal with this stuff.

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I saw that a lot of it was like family gymnastics channels and then pedophiles would comment times in the video where the kid was like doing the splits or something. It raises an important question about what to do about that kind of stuff. Because on one hand its just a family that does gymnastics with completely innocent videos of competitions or whatever, and it's being abused by creeps. So should the families not be allowed to post their content because of that? Honestly, I'm surprised some of these channels want to keep uploading videos after learning about this pedophile stuff. If it was my kid, I'd private all my videos with him/her in it and not put the kid on youtube ever again. I wouldn't want a pedo getting off to my kid just doing a freaking sport, I wouldn't want to subject my kid to that kind of objectification. But I guess youtube money will blind parents to this line of thinking. In conclusion:
F**K you if you prey on children, you're disgusting, get some help immediately
If I were a parent I wouldn't dream of ever putting my kid on youtube ever knowing what we know now.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
Very disturbing subject, there is some sick people out there. It is very unfortunate to see people exploiting the system and it is a flaw within the platform that needs to be fixed but at the same time it is frustrating to see how this is being broadcast, as if YouTube intended for this to happen. Now the big advertisers play the "victim" and "good faith" game. Impulsive reactions to this problem can result in more content censorship for real creators.

Now on the other side, this is why I would never expose young children on social media like some people do nowdays. I would never feel comfortable doing so.

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
interesting. I do think though that parents need to think twice before uploading videos of their children, I really think that there is no reason for someone to be on youtube under a certain age. I really don't agree with parents pushing their children to do acting or modeling either

Reactions: Farley Productions

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
This is definitely disgusting. Child p*** is something I can never tolerate. Even if these videos show nothing of the sort (I'm not sure cause I'm hesitant on watching the one above with someone's explanation) they are still showing children doing whatever activities for these predators to watch.

I do know that recently Youtube has been active on Twitter saying that they are removing accounts for harmful comments, content, etc. But on the same note are removing monetization from videos that large Youtubers are having a hard time monitoring and controlling what goes on within those comment sections. This seems like a step in the right direction minus the removal of monetization from Youtubers who have done nothing wrong.

What are your thoughts? Do these actions from Youtube help this sort of issue or are stricter actions required?

anglingdharma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
123/5000

this is a very extraordinary thing, this is our responsibility together and we must keep children away from such content.
.._____________________________________________________________________________________