YouTube is considering moving ALL kids content to the kids app

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
YouTube is reportedly weighing its most drastic change yet as it further attempts to improve child safety on the platform.

A report from the Wall Street Journal indicates YouTube executives are mulling a move that would push all children’s content off YouTube’s main site and into its standalone YouTube Kids app. The app is currently geared toward kids up to the age of 12, and offers content from YouTube creators as well as partner channels from outlets like Sesame Workshop, PBS Kids, and Kidz Bop. The app has comprehensive parental controls, including a setting that allows parents to hand-pick every single video a child watches on it.

Exactly what content YouTube would classify as children’s content — whether it’s just content specifically aimed at children, whether it blanket includes all content made by young creators and creators with young children in their videos — isn’t clear.

If YouTube’s executives do decide to make the change (which the WSJ reports is “not considered imminent”), it would be an unprecedented shift — but one that’s not entirely unexpected, considering YouTube has spent years weathering scandals related to child safety.

Full article and source: https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/06/19/youtube-wormhole-child-safety-content-steven-crowder-carlos-maza-sundar-pichai-google/

and from the Wall Street Journal - https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-under-fire-considers-major-changes-to-kids-content-11560953721 (need subscription)

That would be a drastic. Also, what would they consider to be "kids content"? It's not always clear cut.

Thoughts?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
If it means no more Spiderman Elsa Colors Numbers videos in my suggestions feed, why not. I don't think there would be any other radical change in the "Youtube Ecosystem" if something like that happened.

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think this is a bad idea, I'm actually more concerned what level, from 0 to draconian, the rules will be. As is, the YT algorithm instantly drowns good content that I have to keep tabs on which my kid likes to sub to.