YouTube is a bigger distraction than TV

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
YouTube is a bigger distraction to children’s homework than television, a survey has found.

Pupils at private schools less likely to complete their homework assignments on time than their peers who are educated at state schools, the poll also showed.

The survey, commissioned by the online homework site Firefly Learning, quizzed over 2,000 students aged between 11 and 15 on their homework habits.

Asked what is most likely to put them off doing their homework, the most popular response among respondents was YouTube, with almost a quarter (24 per cent) citing this as their biggest distraction.

Meanwhile, 18 per cent said television was most to blame for diverting their attention, with a similar proportion citing the image sharing app Snapchat. 12 per cent said Facebook was their biggest distraction, and six per cent said Instagram.

YouTube, which is owned by Google, is becoming increasingly popular among children and teenagers as an alternative to watching traditional television programmes.

Source of study: https://fireflylearning.com/
and full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/02/23/youtube-bigger-distraction-childrens-homework-television-survey/

What about you? Do you watch more YouTube than TV? What distracts you most from homework or work?!

Reactions: Juss Mckenna

Annie's Vegan Journey

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yes haha! i never watch tv anymore! i love it how i can skip ads on youtube and if i don't want to finish watching a show i can find something i do want to watch! and i don't have a time schedule i can watch what i want in the genre that i want, when i want! i can pause it, i can save it. you tube is the best!

Reactions: Juss Mckenna

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Well I’ll say this. When I was a kid, there were few channels and they weren’t always playing something interesting to me. So eventually you’ll get off the tv and onto something else. YouTube never ends and it’s designed to give you what you want to no end. So I can’t imagine being a kid and having that kind of control

At least tv played the national anthem and signed off at 1am!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My children probably watch my YT than TV. But as they watch educational videos I dont mind too much. I do limit their time also and tell them to go play/draw/read/write etc

I personally still watch more TV but its close around 60-40%. And I do sometimes run both at the same time...

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I don't watch TV anymore.
I watch YouTube, Netflix and other streaming services. Why would I pay for cable, when it's cheaper and more convinient to have several streaming services? Lol

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think this definitely makes sense, especially for students who may be trying to do their homework using laptops. To even take a moment to look up from the screen to...another screen would be less easy than just flipping over a tab on your browser and finding a short video to watch. Then another. Then another.....

Brittneytaylorwg

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can see this. I feel like youtube and Netflix or other social medias could definitely be taking over the traditional tv distraction and people becoming more so distracted by YouTube.

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i only watch Youtube and Netflix now. it’s becoming more difficult for me to sit through anything longer than 10 minutes, what has Youtube done to my brain?! or maybe i just have higher standards now – if something can’t keep my interest i don’t waste my time continuing to watch.