YouTube Investing on Educational creators, resources, and tools for EduTubers

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently youtube invested $20M toward educational content through its new Learning Fund program. Channels like TED-Ed, dedicated to educational Ted Talks, and Hank and John Green’s Crash Course have already secured additional funding, according to YouTube’s Official blog post.

YouTube Learning Fund FAQs program states that “successful applicants must enter into a written agreement with YouTube. This agreement will contain more details about required deliverables, payment timelines, and other terms and conditions.”

Creators must maintain a minimum of 25,000 subscribers. Those applying to the program also don’t need to have a degree or proper certification in their field, “but successful applicants will be required to demonstrate that they have expertise and/or that the content they produce is verified by an expert in the field.”

YouTube’s interest in developing more educational content is something the company has aggressively pushed for some time.

source: https://youtube.googleblog.com/2018/10/youtube-learning-investing-in.html

Last edited by a moderator:

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
don’t need to have a degree or proper certification in their field
eh, I don't have a degree either in my profession but I only have to convince my employers that I know what I am doing.

But when someone go live as an educator shouldn't have some credits or certification that he knows what he is talking about?

:S

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Recently youtube invested $20M toward educational content through its new Learning Fund program. Channels like TED-Ed, dedicated to educational Ted Talks, and Hank and John Green’s Crash Course have already secured additional funding, according to YouTube’s Official blog post.

YouTube Learning Fund FAQs program states that “successful applicants must enter into a written agreement with YouTube. This agreement will contain more details about required deliverables, payment timelines, and other terms and conditions.”

Creators must maintain a minimum of 25,000 subscribers. Those applying to the program also don’t need to have a degree or proper certification in their field, “but successful applicants will be required to demonstrate that they have expertise and/or that the content they produce is verified by an expert in the field.”

YouTube’s interest in developing more educational content is something the company has aggressively pushed for some time.

source; youtube.googleblog. com /2018/10/ youtube-learning-investing-in.html

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I have made the link clickable. :)

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
eh, I don't have a degree either in my profession but I only have to convince my employers that I know what I am doing.

But when someone go live as an educator shouldn't have some credits or certification that he knows what he is talking about?

Good question but again we are in a free world you can't stop the tutor if he/she doesn't want to and no one is forcing anyone to listen to them.

Reactions: videoeditgr

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Crash Course shouldn't count as educational, they rush stuff and make it into parts. Worst of all they left details of other things and explain nothing.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Crash Course shouldn't count as educational, they rush stuff and make it into parts. Worst of all they left details of other things and explain nothing.
That's why they are required to demonstrate that they have expertise

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's why they are required to demonstrate that they have expertise
Expertise in what, if it as me they need a collage documentation or backed by more trustworthy faculty. Not PBS which has questionable content. Also looking at some sources they are spending lots of money and nearly go broke. That shouldn't happen under a good management, the deeper i research the more i want to understand why youtube decided it.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

I don’t think people you need a degree, it really depends on what their choices are. I do a lot of editing and I learned on my own, it’s hard to get some companies to take me seriously when I apply for a job as videographer because some people won’t even take time to look at my stuff beyond don’t have a bachelors degree. I got some jobs from really big company’s but what sucks is it was out of state so I couldn’t take it. I just wish people would take others who didn’t go to college more seriously, I know people who went to college for editing and their editing is awful.

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
it’s hard to get some companies to take me seriously when I apply for a job as videographer because some people won’t even take time to look at my stuff beyond don’t have a bachelors degree.
You are right Courtney but you are still young. Perhaps although I "know" you from here, yttalk I mean, also to rejected you at the time. Don't get me wrong. Although I like to talk here as a creator, in fact I am a Youtube viewer with many hours of video viewing and music listening. As you did, i also learned in time with no film school involved. Unfortunatelly this means that I was the coffee boy (little old for boy...hahaha!) at the beggining, and things took time. I also get rejections it is part of the business. In my case I just show up and say "where is the editing station? just give me something to make" and to be honest I usually ask more than the money offered for the job. And I can do this in various editing platforms or audiovisual equipment. But as I told you in the first place, this takes time and dedication, I have spend hundrends of hours editing, testing, learning, wathcing tutorials from free Youtube ones to paid services, trying to understand cameras and audio equipment by buying used ones and using them all the time and that was not easy for my family budget! And of course, I do not present my self as a Youtuber or Vimeo artist or whatever. So if I got one subscriber or 100 in total channel views is not a problem in this case. I just send them to a personal blog. Don't forget that I live in a very smaller country than yours, so it is easier here, although unemployment is higher and salaries lower. Remember this: "You are as good as the last project you delivered". This is not to discourage you, you are young and have better eyes and understanding in tech than many other people. So you can succeed. You have all the time of the world to take a third party online degree, even some free LinkedIn certifications or tests. The only thing needed is to have dedication and hours to spend on the subject :)