YouTube in China

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So I'm going to China next week for a couple months for work. I hear they regulate their internet pretty hard. Does YouTube even work out there or are there restrictions? I may just go off the grid for a bit and explore the country.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Exciting opportunity! Good luck with it!

My understanding is that there is no access to youtube in China, but they have their own version called Youku-Tudou.

Remember to report back!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think Youtube and Facebook doesn´t work in China. At least last year, when I was there for a day, both sites didn´t work!
I hope you will have an awesome trip, and I hope you will upload some footage for us! Keep us posted!

Reactions: Munchito696

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just get a VPN, most expats/tourists over there uses it. If you want to be extra safe, get 2 VPN's. :)

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube is blocked in China because of what happened in 2009 where they showed riots in tiebet. Good luck with your new job opportunity, stay safe! You look on the bright side since you can’t use the internet you can use the time to explore and experience new things!

TastesSeoulGood

Vlogging my adventures in Korea
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
As others said, get a VPN. I watch some vloggers who live and teach in China, and know quite a few people who live there who post on Facebook all the time. It's definitely possible! Enjoy China!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah get a VPN. IPVanish is a good one.

Reactions: Munchito696

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes YouTube is blocked in China. Some people recomend at least 3 or 4 VPN if you want to be sure that you will have access to social media. BTW using VPNS could trigger security alerts in some of your social media accounts so make sure you still have some rescue options.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks for the advice. Man Facebook is blocked too??? s**t that is how I planned on talking to my girlfriend. I'll look into the VPN thing. It will suck if I can't talk to my girlfriend for 2 months.[DOUBLEPOST=1530549172,1530549089][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah get a VPN. IPVanish is a good one.
I'll have to check it out before I leave or I'll be screwed. I'll take lots of footage and pics, it should be fun when I'm outside of work.[DOUBLEPOST=1530549285][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think Youtube and Facebook doesn´t work in China. At least last year, when I was there for a day, both sites didn´t work!
I hope you will have an awesome trip, and I hope you will upload some footage for us! Keep us posted!
What part of China were you in? I'm going to Dalian which is a port city. It looks pretty modern so hopefully they have different Internet rules and less pollution than central China

Reactions: Crown