Youtube Impressions / CTR - am i getting some bad numbers or is youtube messed up?

Sam Bentley

Reaction score
i did some testing for the past few weeks trying to find our more about how the whole system works. what i found out it that it's nothing like youtube describes is.

tested using two different accounts : a brand new youtube account with zero subscribers and an old account that has traffic and impressions already.

for the old account, i published a video, first hour it got 500 views (75% from browse features, 22% from notifications). roughly 2.5k impressions during the first hour, CTR around 1.5 - which would mean about 38 views from impressions (which is also what youtube says). but since i got 500 views during the first hour and 75% of them (about 375 views) came from browse features, why does youtube credit only 38 as coming from impressions?

aren't views from browse features coming from impressions? don't people click on a thumbnail (from the home feed, subscribe feed, search, etc) to view the video? why aren't these all counted as clicks?

to test this further, i tried the brand new account and asked 20 of my friends to help out. asked 10 people to subscribe to the channel and the other 10 not to subscribe. they all have aged accounts, logged in from their own mobile devices (using the mobile app), using different ips.

i published a new video with the brand new account - the 10 people who subscribed to the channel got the video in their home feed and clicked on it. also asked the 10 people who did not subscribe to use the search and find the video and click on it - and so they did. so we should have 20 impressions and 20 views - with 100% CTR.

but to my surprise, even after 48 hrs, these were the stats

views : 21 (so all of them counted)
impressions : 6
CTR: 0%
views from impressions : 0

So what the heck? can someone tell me what's going on?

and the numbers here are even more messed up in advanced analytics https://prnt.sc/wdaymq

browse features : 8.6k impressions, 790 views (which would mean a ctr of around 9%) but the actual ctr calculated is 1.6%
search : 276 impressions, 6 views (so crt is around 2.1%), the the ctr displayed there is 0.7%

i do believe something is wrong or i'm just really bad at math

any of you guys having similar experiences with this

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do not get enough views to get that indepth in it. But I will say this.

Monday I had 9 views and 10 likes on a video. To say Youtube is a poorly run platform is a huge understatement.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did it to me again. Published a video at 730AM. At 3PM I went to take a look. 10 likes 8 views. Seriously...

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I suspect that it takes a few videos and a quite a few views for the algorithm/stats thing to sort itself out by having sufficient data to work with.