YouTube Has Sponsorships? (Like Patreon)

Jamie Lee Bones

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: darkstarmedia

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I figured they would do something like that sense content creators aren't really making money anymore so YouTube created something else for YouTubers to make money on

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I suspect this new feature was created to keep pewdiepie on the platform as youtubec recently acknowledged and accepted his copyright strike so he isn't able to monetize his videos and earn income otherwise. If they didn't let him earn income he might shut down his channel and move to twitch.

Also buried in the announcement of the sponsorships is the official end of paid channels on YouTube so while they're giving creators another way to bolster income, they're taking away the right to charge a fee to watch a channel.

Reactions: Jamie Lee Bones

ExoHydraX

Reaction score
indeed I saw that the sponsor option is still a beta , not everyone has it ATM but I think that it's a great idea

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This is a neat idea! It looks like it currently is available for gaming channels, but it would be neat to see it available for everyone soon. It seems like YouTube has been really catering to gaming channels and live streaming. I guess I need to figure out how to jump on the live streaming bandwagon.

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm not sure everyone here understands, this is for youtube gaming live streaming not on channels that people visit every day. Google just took ideas from twitch and called it a day.

Jamie Lee Bones

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure everyone here understands, this is for youtube gaming live streaming not on channels that people visit every day. Google just took ideas from twitch and called it a day.
That's true for right now. Further into the article it explains that everything is still in Beta for regular channels. I think they put in a couple links to some folks trying it out too.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I suspect this new feature was created to keep pewdiepie on the platform as youtubec recently acknowledged and accepted his copyright strike so he isn't able to monetize his videos and earn income otherwise. If they didn't let him earn income he might shut down his channel and move to twitch.
This feature was in the works/beta/tested for months before implemented. It's not a feature created for specific YouTuber. It's YouTube's response to many creators using Patreon to get supported, making YouTube lose money from these transactions that were going to Patreon.
Also buried in the announcement of the sponsorships is the official end of paid channels on YouTube so while they're giving creators another way to bolster income, they're taking away the right to charge a fee to watch a channel.
Onision deleted ~2 millions subscribers to turn his channel into a paid one and now paid channels are ending!

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I saw this article this morning and thought it was really interesting..
(unfortunately it looks like I can't upload a URL here)
View attachment 41104
(YTTalk Staff added a URL: )
It looks like YouTube is creating their own sort of 'Patreon'

Has anyone else heard about this? Thoughts?

Here's the article snipped:
View attachment 41105 View attachment 41106 View attachment 41107
Ooh, this is really ... fascinating. actually. I'm very intrigued to see how this evolves.

I do think it's a wise move on YouTube's part after the dreaded apocalypse and algorithm nonsense. They are definitely losing people to sites like Twitch & Vidme, not to mention people are seeking financial stability through things like Patreon more than ever these days. So, this is definitely interesting.