• Please note that all milestone posts must not be of a promotional nature and must conform to the Milestones Forum Rules. All "almost" and "nearly" milestone threads are deleted.

• Join the largest paid sponsorship network. Join at YTtalk.com

YouTube goals for 2020

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

2020 is almost here and so it's time to publicly declare your YouTube goals for 2020:

1. How many subs would you like to have at the end of 2020?
  2. How many views would you like to have at the end of 2020?
  3. What are your other YouTube goals for your channel for 2020 (unrelated to subs and views) ?

Min/Max Munchking

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
  1. 10k subs
  2. 1 million views
  3. 200 uploaded videos - this is the main goal really, it's the only one I have control over.
CONTEXT
All right, if anybody is interested in the details and history of my YT channel, I went into great lengths covering that in my YT guide topic.

Long story short, the channel has grown past 2.8k subs and 350k views since April 2018. Due to increased upload frequency in the last 2.5 months, I set a new record for monthly views and new subscribers in November. Not by a large margin, but the incremental gain resulting from more YT search traffic has been the only thing that's worked for me consistently. So, while I'm glad the positive trend continues, I'm not entirely satisfied with the state of the channel and the rate of growth (~30k views a month, ~150-200 new subscribers). It does generate a decent income from Patreon, I've enabled ads recently and I'll try monetizing in a few more ways, but it's not enough to invest back into the channel's growth in any meaningful way, so I have to keep pushing more.

ALGORITHMIC BLESSINGS
There's one more reason traffic spiked recently. 2 of the November videos got pushed onto the YouTube's homepage, each riding a relatively huge wave of new visitors who never saw my channel before. This is something that never happened to me before. Between just the 2 of them, the channel got more than 7k views in November, so it might be FINALLY gaining some traction in the algorithm other than ranking high for specific long-tail keywords. However, it might have coincided with the release of the newest expansion to the game, as both videos covered related topics, so it just might be a one-time thing that won't happen again any time soon. Even if YT search becomes the main traffic source again, I won't complain. Slow & steady always finishes the race.

CHALLENGE
The channel suffers from one glaring issue though, among several others. It is in critical need of way more content to be a viable main business/entrepreneurial project. 75 videos in more than a year and a half averages out to less than 1 video/week. Frankly, that's just not enough and I'm well aware of it.

I want to speed things up a "little" bit. I'm going for 200 videos by the end of 2020. That will put the channel's upload frequency somewhere south of 1.5 videos/week. That also means I have to make 125 new videos in the next ~400 days. It will be a hard nut to crack, but based on my recent self-imposed challenge that had me make 50 videos in 50 days (I made 23), I think it's quite achievable and realistic.

This, needless to say, is still a massive task for me. I often spend weeks thinking about and preparing my videos. If I want to hit 200 total uploaded videos, I'll be forced to change some things and streamline the video creation process. This means less analysis-paralysis, less procrastination and much, much more quantifiable action and active grinding instead of just mulling over things in my head.

CONTENT STRATEGY
Types of videos matter too. Right now, I know almost exactly which new videos will get to 500-700 views. Then, I regularly have new videos which get to 1-1.5k views minimum guaranteed. However, some of my new videos barely break 100-200 views and I know in advance which ones will perform poorly like that. All of them serve a purpose, but not every purpose is equally worthwhile. It's all about short vs. long term.
I will also have to experiment with shorter videos. Most of my videos are 1hr+ long. While many people have left positive comments praising how deep and detailed my analyses are, the harsh reality is my average view duration is less than 6 minutes, which keeps my Audience Retention hovering around 10%. I need to try and bump that percentage up in whatever way I can think of, so shorter videos seem like a sensible gamble.

Builds/Character Concepts - this type of content is the driving force of my channel's growth. Dungeons & Dragons as a tabletop RPG is played using characters with stats similar to video games. It sometimes takes me weeks, months to figure out something interesting enough, develop the concept and decide what the final iteration of the character build will be. I'll need to focus on speeding this process up radically if I want to foster more growth. The biggest issue I face is I constantly fear my ideas are not good enough and need more work, resulting in analysis-paralysis and procrastination. I just need to shatter these mental blocks and self-doubts and churn out new character builds more regularly.

Class overviews - these videos don't get too much attention as there are more videos and channels out there making similar content. The game has been out since 2014, so most people already know most of the basic stuff anyway. However, every time I go in-depth talking about and analyzing the features and mechanics of these classes, I get new ideas which I then use to make new character builds and concepts. It doesn't take me long to make them, so it will help with the raw numbers, especially because I'm planning on breaking hour-long videos into multiple shorter videos. I'm sort of half-way through the list of all 13 classes currently in the game, so all I need is finish it and wrap the series.

Playtest materials/new releases - D&D 5e is still growing in popularity worldwide, so WotC, the company that produces it, regularly releases new playtest and official materials. I've recently jumped on the "reviews" wagon and the latest video I made got pushed on the Homepage, getting a lot more views than is usually the case in the first 5-6 days. I'll just have to be faster to respond in the future so that my videos are among the first ones to ride the waves of new trends instead of catching up with my competitors.

Gaming sessions highlights - almost half of my Patreon income is actually not passive. I am a DM (dungeon master) for a group of 6-7 people and we gather in my private Discord every Sunday to play these online sessions for 4-6 hours. I leveraged the reach of my channel to establish this group.
These highlights videos from those sessions struggle to break 100 views so I'm somewhat discouraged from posting them. However, I plan on establishing more groups as a) It's fun for me to DM for other people and b) additional Patreon income can only improve my general life situation.
I have a crapton of recorded sessions, I even track timestamps during the sessions when interesting/funny/hilarious moments occur. I just need to sit down, cut these clips out together and publish some 15 videos I have collecting cyber-dust on my hard-drive.

Miscellaneous/rants/new topic categories - I sometimes upload some rants, announcements and stuff like that. That won't be something I'll rely on for numbers, but it will add up over time I'm sure. I also want to start exploring new topic ideas, such as making whole party compositions (D&D is a cooperative game after all) instead of just creating individual characters. A half-baked idea about creating interesting custom monsters and drip-feeding them onto the channel has popped to my mind a few times as well, but knowing my main niche, it will be much harder to stand out in that regard as the market for such content seems more saturated. Also, such content is generally only interesting to DMs, so while there is some overlap between the two, the rough ratio of players vs. DMs is something like 5/1, maybe 4/1, so making videos about custom monsters would be an even smaller micro-niche than the one I'm currently focusing on.
Not sure which topics exactly and when, but it's definitely something I want to at least try.

UPDATES
My intention is to keep updating this post at least once a month with updates of my progress. I won't make any promises, but I'll try and let you know of all the interesting, relevant good and bad things that happen over the course of the next 400-ish days.

That's it. Now's the time for the adventure to begin. :running:

Last edited:

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Heck it feels like so long since I was last active here, been so ridiculously busy, but hey, I love seeing and setting some goals!

1. How many subs would you like to have at the end of 2020?
  2. How many views would you like to have at the end of 2020?
    80m
  3. What are your other YouTube goals for your channel for 2020 (unrelated to subs and views) ?
My biggest goal is to upload 2 videos in 2020, it took me SO STUPIDLY LONG to make my last one i posted yesterday, i went well over a year or 2 without any uploads :( So definitely want to speed up my process and work extra hard to put out at least 2 videos a year as a personal goal for me.

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
  1. How many subs would you like to have at the end of 2020? 400
  2. How many views would you like to have at the end of 2020? 8,000 - 9,000
  3. What are your other YouTube goals for your channel for 2020 (unrelated to subs and views) ? Make at least 365 videos

Dave Pollack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Sub goal: 25,000 (currently at 13,500)
Views goal: 4 million (currently at 1.6)
Other: Keep upping the video quality (buying a new camera soon) and continue collaborating with new people!

Tubebuddy | Easy to use and install | TubeBuddy.com