YouTube Gamer Doing Patreon A Bad Idea?

SteveDz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in awhile, but always get a good response. I just wanted your opinion on a YouTube gaming channel looking for help on patreon. Do you support any or do you think it's a bad idea?

I'm wondering if I should try Patreon, but I feel scummy thinking of that idea. I've been streaming since early 2009 and have 42,000+ subscribers on YouTube now. I've always had a full-time job, but recently was let go after twelve years. Recently I was looking at Patreon with seeing other gaming YouTubers on there and started to think if I should too.

I'm thinking my subscribers will look at me in a negative light for trying that. That's in the back of my head, always thinking the worse outcome. Would like your opinion though and appreciate your time.

Reactions: ChrisLegend

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Based on your YT experience and size of channel, you have proven yourself as someone making decent content consistently so I'd see no problem in you launching a patreon. I think people tend to take issue with brand new Youtubers who are asking for money but have no track record. Good luck whatever you decide.

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Doing a Patreon is fine to do, I don't think they'll think of it as a negative if you're open about it and it helps with the quality of your videos. Congratulations on your subscriber count!

SteveDz

Reaction score
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Based on your YT experience and size of channel, you have proven yourself as someone making decent content consistently so I'd see no problem in you launching a patreon. I think people tend to take issue with brand new Youtubers who are asking for money but have no track record. Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks for moving this to the right place and sorry about that lol. Thank you for the advice!

Doing a Patreon is fine to do, I don't think they'll think of it as a negative if you're open about it and it helps with the quality of your videos. Congratulations on your subscriber count!
Oh, thanks! I've always tried my best with videos and wanting to make each one entertaining for my subscribers. Whether I had 1 or a thousand subs, I've always did my best. Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Patreon won't work unless you either have a fundraising campaign or have a large fanbase.

I tried before, not even a cent was donated. At least Google was generous enough to offer slightly more...

Jack Rackam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't know the exact stats for what % of subscribes are likely to donate, but I don't expect it's very large on average. You might be able to make some money off of it, but at 42,000 subscribers I don't know if it'll be enough to support you full-time, at least that would be my gut reaction. Most channels I see launching Patreons have somewhere in the hundreds of thousands. However, I don't think announcing a Patreon will lessen your viewers' opinions of you, since you can explain your situation and ultimately that Patreon money is going to go towards the channel in one way or another.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can maybe recommend doing Twitch, as you can interact with your viewers in real time!

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Definitely, why not. You are a creator, you are investing your time. Patreon usually includes extra stuff that regular subs dont get, and you invest time for that extra stuff as well. You are not forcing anyone to give you money.

I do understand your concern, was thinking about Patreon (in case I have 3 zeros added to my current sub count ofc lol), and I was getting a negative initial feeling from it, but yeah, you are not forcing anyone to pay money to you, and for those who do, you offer extra content. Its a fair deal.

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in awhile, but always get a good response. I just wanted your opinion on a YouTube gaming channel looking for help on patreon. Do you support any or do you think it's a bad idea?

I'm wondering if I should try Patreon, but I feel scummy thinking of that idea. I've been streaming since early 2009 and have 42,000+ subscribers on YouTube now. I've always had a full-time job, but recently was let go after twelve years. Recently I was looking at Patreon with seeing other gaming YouTubers on there and started to think if I should too.

I'm thinking my subscribers will look at me in a negative light for trying that. That's in the back of my head, always thinking the worse outcome. Would like your opinion though and appreciate your time.
Why don't you try talking to your subscribers about the idea? I don't think you should feel scummy about Patreon. All you are doing is asking people to donate. It's not like you are forcing anyone to do anything y'know? Maybe try it out and see!

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's definitely worth a shot! You've got a great track record of YouTube history already. And I don't think as many people will look at you in a negative light as you think. They'll understand that people need to make a living somehow :)