YouTube Friends?

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Twice now I've gotten someone leaving me a comment and asking if I want to be YouTube friends. I can only imagine what that would actually entail. Like, when they leave comments I'd be more likely to reply? Or maybe if I see one of their comments on another video I'll reply and go, "Hey, fancy seeing you here! How's it been?" Or would we make videos about each other? I can't think of anything else it could mean. And all of these things sound like something that just regular friends would do. None of these sound like they would describe YouTube friends specifically. I was thinking that maybe a YouTube friend is a friend you originally met on YouTube, but that still wouldn't explain the request to be YouTube friends instead of just friends.

On Facebook you become friends with someone and it affects a lot of things, including you being able to see things that only their friends can see. But there's nothing like that on YouTube. I asked both of them what YouTube friends do. Someone else replied to one of them and said, "They make fun of stupid videos." I replied, "You mean, like, they do it together or something?" No answer.

Anyone heard of this? I got asked it for my upcoming 50k-sub Q&A video and I'd like some more information about what they might be talking about before I try to answer it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanDK

DeanDK

Reaction score
Maybe they talking about the contacts feature released on 8 august??

The youtube app now has contacts (button located between the subscriptions and account on android app).

So you add contacts. Then send DM's and share youtube links etc from within the youtube app.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Maybe they talking about the contacts feature released on 8 august??

The youtube app now has contacts (button located between the subscriptions and account on android app).

So you add contacts. Then send DM's and share youtube links etc from within the youtube app.
Hmm, interesting. That could definitely be what they were talking about. I wonder if it is. Neither of them answered when I asked them.[DOUBLEPOST=1502861586,1502861336][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, you said Android app. I have the iPhone and it doesn't have anything like that.

terror569

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
it actually has =) iphone 6s, ios 10.3.3. In the youtube app go to Activity and there are two new tabs on the top called Shared and Notification. In the "Shared" tab you can share it with your friends. That update was 6 days ago

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've gotten these kinds of comments before and I assumed they were either spam that translates to sub4sub or one of my younger viewers getting a little over excited.

People do make "YouTube friends" online .. like people they know from YouTube and chat with on Skype or whatever. I don't really have any reason to trust these random messages though. Ya know? It's not another YouTuber or a subscriber I recognize contacting me it's just a random viewer. Like I interact with subscribers in the games I play but they didn't post on a video and just leave a message saying "lets be friends". Maybe I'm being overly cautious. :ninja2:

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
it actually has =) iphone 6s, ios 10.3.3. In the youtube app go to Activity and there are two new tabs on the top called Shared and Notification. In the "Shared" tab you can share it with your friends. That update was 6 days ago
Oh, I see. Hmm... I wonder if they are talking about that. The most recent one is from a channel with 24k subs and makes electronic music.
People do make "YouTube friends" online .. like people they know from YouTube and chat with on Skype or whatever.
Yeah, this is more what I was thinking. That or the sub4sub.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Aren't YouTube friends, friends that you have met on YouTube?
That's what it means to me.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Aren't YouTube friends, friends that you have met on YouTube?
That's what it means to me.
Yeah, I'd think so. But if you meet someone playing Overwatch and you get to chatting and want to be friends, you just say, "Hey, do you want to be friends?" Not, "Hey, do you want to be Overwatch friends?" It just seems like it would mean something else if you specify the type of friend.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've never been asked to be youtube friends before. If I make a friend off youtube, it just happens organically. I've made a couple of friends off youtube just by enjoying each other's content and getting to know one another. I had a kid ask to collab with me once, but it wasn't really a collab. He basically just wanted a shout out, which I did because he was a nice kid.