YouTube for a living

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All YouTubers that make a living out of it is due to fame. At that point is not only Youtube revenue. Is that, plus marketing companies, plus companies that pay them to review their products, plus plus plus. As if they were actors getting paid to do a movie, is as simply as that. But the point is you either get lucky or not and you have no stability because the next month someone bigger can come in and you stop making money.

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
My plan is to eventually sell online training courses in my niche. I'm still trying to come up with good freebies to get people to opt-in to my email lists though.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive noticed with the Ad boycott that a few have started/increased live streams. Ive sat and watched donations coming in and mounting to huge numbers.
I would love to do something like that on my own channel but it just wouldnt suit.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Self belief is a big factor in how far you can go. It's cliché I know, but having a bit of respect and pride for yourself and your work, will go far in getting to where you want to be. No one is stopping you from achieving apart from yourself. Youtube actively wants you to succeed because that's how they get paid.

Knowledge is also key. You have to learn and learn and learn some more. Whether that be SEO, editing, lighting or all of those things. There's always something you can do better. I know I can do a bunch of things better. I just have to learn them.

It's not luck, it's graft.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
surprised at some of the posts in this thread, yes of course their is luck involved, pretty much in every walk of life but i think we need to give people a bit more credit. for the most part you get out what you put in to youtube, you can work as hard as you like on youtube, you could always do more, more content, more social media, more marketing, more collabs, etc etc, a lot of these people work their asses off to get in to the position of being able to do it full time.

i am not that far off myself and i only have a small channel, but i have worked hard every single day for a year and half+ to get my little channel going, i now earn a nice $500 a month from ad revenue, $800 a month from patreon, plus stream tips and occasional limited edition merch, its definitely doable even with a smaller audience

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Self belief is a big factor in how far you can go. It's cliché I know, but having a bit of respect and pride for yourself and your work, will go far in getting to where you want to be. No one is stopping you from achieving apart from yourself. Youtube actively wants you to succeed because that's how they get paid.

Knowledge is also key. You have to learn and learn and learn some more. Whether that be SEO, editing, lighting or all of those things. There's always something you can do better. I know I can do a bunch of things better. I just have to learn them.

It's not luck, it's graft.
I always think of luck = opportunity + preparation so agree with you in that sense.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are no guarantees with YouTube but there are no guarantees with a wage paying job either. You just need to make sure you spend within your means, plan for the future, and keep diversifying and trying new things, and be able to adapt quickly to change. I avoid setting up too much infrastructure so I can handle down times--I don't "have" to make a large amount to keep things going. I don't know how the Fine Bros support all those people under their brand!

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
surprised at some of the posts in this thread, yes of course their is luck involved, pretty much in every walk of life but i think we need to give people a bit more credit. for the most part you get out what you put in to youtube, you can work as hard as you like on youtube, you could always do more, more content, more social media, more marketing, more collabs, etc etc, a lot of these people work their asses off to get in to the position of being able to do it full time.

i am not that far off myself and i only have a small channel, but i have worked hard every single day for a year and half+ to get my little channel going, i now earn a nice $500 a month from ad revenue, $800 a month from patreon, plus stream tips and occasional limited edition merch, its definitely doable even with a smaller audience
Fully agree with you, the occasional luck happens much more rarely I think than people think, most successful channels work hard and create their own "luck" by doing things right.

On the Patreon, I'm surprised to see the revenue compared to adsense, can you share a few thoughts on how you setup your Patreon?

Last edited:

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There are no guarantees with YouTube but there are no guarantees with a wage paying job either. You just need to make sure you spend within your means, plan for the future, and keep diversifying and trying new things, and be able to adapt quickly to change. I avoid setting up too much infrastructure so I can handle down times--I don't "have" to make a large amount to keep things going. I don't know how the Fine Bros support all those people under their brand!
I'm with you on that! I follow a channel that has 1.7 million subscribers, they get 5 million views a month, but there's at least 3 hosts on the payroll, cameraman, editor etc. Makes me wonder how they afford all of that, and make a profit. i mean 5 million views a month for me would be incredible, and I could do a lot with that kind of revenue, and make a lot of other people happy too. But having so many staff is going to eat into that. They probably have other income streams though I guess. I guess it depends on your content. I saw a channel the other day called toypudding.....over 500 million views a month they get, and the content they produce doesn't need any extra staff, so costs will be minimal, return very high. I realise I am waffling on now, so i'll be quiet haha

Reactions: babyteeth4