Youtube favouring videos with adds?

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
They wouldn't be small if they had channel authority.
We're talking about YouTube favoring videos with ads vs. those without ads in general, not whether those with channel authority vs. little channel authority are favored. Those are two different points. The fact that a large channel with an unmonetized video (one that could've made YouTube lots of money) was still promoted introduces a counter-argument.[DOUBLEPOST=1488819883,1488819727][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used to own a very large/popular websites and was very into the whole Adsense thing (generated over $1 million from 2006-2010) - i was even featured as one of Google's original "Adsense Success Stories" and knew/spoke with several Google/Adsense employees often.

The same question came up about websites being favored in Google search if they had Adsense ads on them, and the Adsense people made it VERY CLEAR - there was NO connection, or even communication between the adsense people and systems and the search people and systems. To the extent that they were not even allowed to speak with each other at lunch. Conversely, there was NO connection to ads and search results. The reason was because of the fear of monopoly issues, etc.

I dont know that the same separation exists in Youtube, but if would make sense for the same reasons if it did.
That's a very interesting tidbit of information. Considering that we're all under Adsense with our YouTube monetization and that YouTube is technically treated like a search engine as well, I would suspect that they have similar policies in play.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Considering that we're all under Adsense with our YouTube monetization and that YouTube is technically treated like a search engine as well, I would suspect that they have similar policies in play.
They would have to.. Imagine the outcry, social media-whining and lawsuits .....

Reactions: Kristeen

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We're talking about YouTube favoring videos with ads vs. those without ads in general, not whether those with channel authority vs. little channel authority are favored. Those are two different points. The fact that a large channel with an unmonetized video (one that could've made YouTube lots of money) was still promoted introduces a counter-argument.
Falls under the same umbrella. You need a certain amount of authority for your monetized or non monetized videos to be promoted by the YouTube Algorithm. Small channels that lack authority will have a hard time getting their videos promoted, whether they're monetized or not.

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
wow... I never thought about that... damn that would be a real plot twist.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Falls under the same umbrella. You need a certain amount of authority for your monetized or non monetized videos to be promoted by the YouTube Algorithm. Small channels that lack authority will have a hard time getting their videos promoted, whether they're monetized or not.
Your point: channels with authority are favored by the YouTube algorithms, regardless of monetization.
Question of the thread: Are monetized videos favored by YouTube?

Seems like two different topics to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your point: channels with authority are favored by the YouTube algorithms, regardless of monetization.
Question of the thread: Are monetized videos favored by YouTube?

Seems like two different topics to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My original response and responses thereafter addressed this comment you made and your responses to them. I never responded to the author's post:

On a random line of thought though... during that whole wave of Christina Grimmie videos, Philip DeFranco's video on the matter was still being recommended to me even though he specifically turned off ads for it.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My original response and responses thereafter addressed this comment you made and your responses to them. I never responded to the author's post:
And I'm saying that your points seem to be irrelevant to the point I was making with my original message, which was intended to be a direct response to the topic.

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
And I'm saying that your points seem to be irrelevant to the point I was making with my original message, which was intended to be a direct response to the topic.
Your argument is weak. My points are only irrelevant to you because you can't wrap your head around them.

Reactions: just Moto