Youtube favouring videos with adds?

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is it true that videos with adds are getting more views or boostet more by YouTube?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It would make sense if they did, but I have not seen any good data that shows this is true.
If anyone has such data, i would love to see it..

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I second @The NotARubicon!. It's hard to tell whether or not that's true because the vast majority of videos are monetized. Hard to find non-monetized content overall. Given how Google is very secretive of its data, it's also difficult to pull those numbers on your own.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Of course it's true. Why would any sucessful money making company promote videos that don't generate money for them in front of ones that do?

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Of course it's true. Why would any sucessful money making company promote videos that don't generate money for them in front of ones that do?
Just because it makes sense, doesn't make it automatically true. All we can do is speculate that this is the case but we can't say for sure that it's happening without solid evidence.[DOUBLEPOST=1488796546,1488796407][/DOUBLEPOST]On a random line of thought though... during that whole wave of Christina Grimmie videos, Philip DeFranco's video on the matter was still being recommended to me even though he specifically turned off ads for it.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It would make sense if they did, but I have not seen any good data that shows this is true.
If anyone has such data, i would love to see it..
Yes me too. But like you say it would make sense but again is there any data on this?
I have turned adds off on my videos simply because I find them anoying but if my videos are less likely to be favoured by YouTube because of this I might have to turn them on even though it sucks

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just because it makes sense, doesn't make it automatically true. All we can do is speculate that this is the case but we can't say for sure that it's happening without solid evidence.[DOUBLEPOST=1488796546,1488796407][/DOUBLEPOST]On a random line of thought though... during that whole wave of Christina Grimmie videos, Philip DeFranco's video on the matter was still being recommended to me even though he specifically turned off ads for it.
Philip DeFranco has a lot of channel authority. His videos will be recommended whether they're monetized or not.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Philip DeFranco has a lot of channel authority. His videos will be recommended whether they're monetized or not.
Exactly, which is still a point against the whole argument that "YouTube doesn't promote unmonetized videos".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it's not possible that YouTube is favoring videos with ads, I'm just introducing nuance into this discussion. If someone with large rep can get an unmonetized video as a recommended video, suffice to say that it may also be possible that smaller YouTubers with decent rep can get recommended as well.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I used to own a very large/popular websites and was very into the whole Adsense thing (generated over $1 million from 2006-2010) - i was even featured as one of Google's original "Adsense Success Stories" and knew/spoke with several Google/Adsense employees often.

The same question came up about websites being favored in Google search if they had Adsense ads on them, and the Adsense people made it VERY CLEAR - there was NO connection, or even communication between the adsense people and systems and the search people and systems. To the extent that they were not even allowed to speak with each other at lunch. Conversely, there was NO connection to ads and search results. The reason was because of the fear of monopoly issues, etc.

I dont know that the same separation exists in Youtube, but if would make sense for the same reasons if it did.

Reactions: Crown and Kristeen

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Exactly, which is still a point against the whole argument that "YouTube doesn't promote unmonetized videos".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it's not possible that YouTube is favoring videos with ads, I'm just introducing nuance into this discussion. If someone with large rep can get an unmonetized video as a recommended video, suffice to say that it may also be possible that smaller YouTubers with decent rep can get recommended as well.
They wouldn't be small if they had channel authority.