Jbarker91

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I wanted to put together this little resource for people to add to their tools for building YouTube channels. A lot of times I see people posting about the common “How to use YouTube Titles” or “Using the right Key Words” and “What Makes a Good Thumbnail”. Those are all valuable! However, I would like to add this addendum to those in order to help people take their channels a step further, whether you’re a beginner or someone who’s been a content creator for much longer.

Let me know what you think or if there are any points you would add, or maybe even if you think a little differently about some of my ideas, I’m open for opinions too!

Be Consistent

I can’t begin to stress how important this is. Being consistent allows your audience to feel a common attraction when browsing your creations. Whether it is your Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, Website, Blog, YouTube Channel, you name it! The name of your channel or page should be the same across the board.

Consistency also plays an important role when it comes to posting schedules. If you’re the type of person who posts weekly, then post on the same day each week. The day and time you choose will be different for each channel and category as well as your schedule as an individual. I’ve found it most effective for my content and schedule to post on Saturday. If you post twice a week, make sure to do that consistently and make it known to your subscribers. Let them know, “I’ll be posting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11am”. This will let them know you are serious and respect their desires to watch your content as well!

The last thing about consistency for now is your descriptions, titles, and thumbnails. This doesn’t mean you need to make them all the same every single time, but make sure your formatting is generally consistent. Don’t write one title in ALL CAPS and then have the next one in Regular Casing only to have the third in all lower or with random characters. Stay consistent. With your descriptions make sure they are detailed, and include a link to your other social media outlets. Do this consistently so that your viewers and potential subscribers will know what to expect.

Categorize your Videos

Playlists are SO important. When I first started I had playlists such as “Family, Holidays, Drones”. Those were okay, and they classified the videos decently, but there is a better way! When people search for key words, YouTube has to know what videos relate to the content they are searching. YouTube doesn’t analyze the content of the video itself to do this, it uses titles, key words, descriptions, and PLAYLISTS. I went through and renamed all our playlists to longer descriptions that fit more fully the content of the videos they contained. A week later I went to view our analytics and I already noticed a difference in organic searches! Make sure to not only categorize your videos into playlists, but make them detailed names and descriptions too.

Think Trendy

Okay, so this one may seem a little bit off-the-wall for most people at first, but just hear me out. Have you ever seen something on Facebook and not really thought twice about it? Maybe the week after you saw it again, and again, and then the next thing you know it’s all over the place and everyone and their mother seems to be posting about it? Remember Pokemon Go? Yeah, I feel like it hasn’t been too long since its huge viral push, but in my opinion it is starting to fade, or at least grow slower than it had a few weeks ago.

The point of this section is to show you how to take advantage of things that are trending. If you get in at the right time then your success will grow incredibly. Let’s take Pokemon Go for example. Your channel is puttering along at a consistent growth, whether that be 1-2 subscribers per week or even 300-400 per day! Your growth may be consistent (or non-existent for that matter, but that’s an issue in and of itself), but you need to find something to help launch it to the next tier of growth. Product a video about something that is beginning to trend (such as Pokemon Go a few weeks ago) and your channel will experience a small percentage of the LARGE search traffic that the topic is experiencing. For example if 5 million people search for “pokemon” in just one month, even if you only get to see 0.01% of that traffic (That’s a REALLY small number) you would have an additional 500 views for your video/channel. We actually put this to the test and we saw an increase from a rolling 28 day average of 600 views all the way up to 2,000! This was all because of our one Pokemon Go themed video on July 13th. In short, keep track of trends and post videos that relate, but make sure the videos also relate to your channel so it isn’t just random.

These are just three little pointers that I’ve put together, and I hope that they help you all out as much as they’ve helped me. This is just a small portion of what I share in my complete guide so let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Nice tips! I'm sure people will find these very useful.

I've also moved this to the Tutorials, Tips and Resources section. :up2:

Jbarker91

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Nice tips! I'm sure people will find these very useful.

I've also moved this to the Tutorials, Tips and Resources section. :up2:
Thanks RedFox! I appreciate the kind words :)[DOUBLEPOST=1472765108,1472749375][/DOUBLEPOST]
This was great! Thanks for the tips, Barker!
Thanks Kev! Let me know if you're able to apply any of them! :)