Youtube destroying HD 60fps video quality! Why?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic HC-V180 Camcorder that takes really good quality video and can record 1080P HD videos at 60 fps, which works better for fast moving subjects. My problem is that when I upload these 60fps videos to Youtube; they turn out worse then VGA videos taken on an Motorola V3 flip phone, if they are even that good.

Even if I upload the original unedited file straight out of the camera to youtube it ends up like crap. I mean completely unusable here. I have been with youtube since 2005 and over 1200 subscribers. I know what is normal when youtube re-compresses a video. This is WAY beyond that. I just don't know what the problem is here or where to start fixing it. This problem only seems to occur with 60fps videos and not 30fps videos out of the same camera. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

So here is a 25 second sample video I uploaded to demonstrate what I am talking about. Try to remember when you watch this video that the original that was uploaded was extremely high quality with zero pixelation.

youtube.com/watch?v=6chlmM4HL7w

(For some reason YT will not let me embed a video, even that option is available in the editor.)

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a Panasonic HC-V180 Camcorder that takes really good quality video and can record 1080P HD videos at 60 fps, which works better for fast moving subjects. My problem is that when I upload these 60fps videos to Youtube; they turn out worse then VGA videos taken on an Motorola V3 flip phone, if they are even that good.

Even if I upload the original unedited file straight out of the camera to youtube it ends up like crap. I mean completely unusable here. I have been with youtube since 2005 and over 1200 subscribers. I know what is normal when youtube re-compresses a video. This is WAY beyond that. I just don't know what the problem is here or where to start fixing it. This problem only seems to occur with 60fps videos and not 30fps videos out of the same camera. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

So here is a 25 second sample video I uploaded to demonstrate what I am talking about. Try to remember when you watch this video that the original that was uploaded was extremely high quality with zero pixelation.

Seems you are uploading in a format that YouTube doesn't handle too well. Have you tried uploading in different formats and experiment which one is the best. Also what Rendition software/codec are you using? If you use some obscure software/codec that gives great compression but is not widely available it may come that YouTube doesn't handle that codec/format properly.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay. The original file format generated by the camcorder is MTS. I have other cameras that record to MOV format, but I always convert those videos to MTS before uploading in my edtiing process. I use Corel Video Studio as my editor. I get the best results when I upload videos to youtube in the MTS format, except when I upload these 60fps videos. If I shoot the videos in 30fps with the same camera, the videos turn out fine after uploaded. The problem only occurs with 60fps. Now I have seen other peoples 60fps videos on youtube that looked great, so I know youtube can handle it.

Here is a video shot with the same camera in 30 fps. No problems here.

youtu.be/m7ukxuv8L9I

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay. The original file format generated by the camcorder is MTS. I have other cameras that record to MOV format, but I always convert those videos to MTS before uploading in my edtiing process. I use Corel Video Studio as my editor. I get the best results when I upload videos to youtube in the MTS format, except when I upload these 60fps videos. If I shoot the videos in 30fps with the same camera, the videos turn out fine after uploaded. The problem only occurs with 60fps. Now I have seen other peoples 60fps videos on youtube that looked great, so I know youtube can handle it.

Here is a video shot with the same camera in 30 fps. No problems here.

youtu.be/m7ukxuv8L9I
Some formats are not very good with 50/60 fps. I am uploading 50fps videos since years and never have seen reduction in quality. Quite the opposite. I am amazed how YouTube keeps almost the same quality especially for 4K50p, but also for HD uploads. As I wrote before, experiment with different formats and figure out which works best.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So I converted the original video file from MTS to MP4 (Lossless) in Handbrake. This tripled the data size of the file. I then cut out an 8 second clip and uploaded to youtube. Once again, total garbage. Not quite as bad as the MTS, but not much better. I think the problem is related to the content of the video and not the format. I think it is the water reflection that youtube is not able to handle. Here is a video that was captured with the same camera and uploaded straight to youtube with no editing. It does not have the horrible pixelation as seen in the river scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=7LeJv3Ckrow[DOUBLEPOST=1504301595,1504277791][/DOUBLEPOST]Still struggling to figure this out.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've uploaded dozens of 1080/60 videos with no issues (but dont try on Facebook, it chokes!)..
I just watched your zoom-lens video and it looks beautiful from here..
Are you sure you arent being auto-downresed when watching? When i first started viewing it auto-selected 480p and it looked like 480p (crap).. but I manually set it to 1080/60 and it was beautiful. I see no problems here..

Also, 1080/60 takes Youtube longer to transcode so it could take several minutes after uploading before the 1080/60 version is available..

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well youtube is a very big platorm, with a massive amount of seriver needs, the best way to make more room is reduece the video quailty of the video it recieves. in the end, it;s just simple busness.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've uploaded dozens of 1080/60 videos with no issues (but dont try on Facebook, it chokes!)..
I just watched your zoom-lens video and it looks beautiful from here..
Are you sure you arent being auto-downresed when watching? When i first started viewing it auto-selected 480p and it looked like 480p (crap).. but I manually set it to 1080/60 and it was beautiful. I see no problems here..

Also, 1080/60 takes Youtube longer to transcode so it could take several minutes after uploading before the 1080/60 version is available..

Watch this video and tell me what you think.