YouTube Description

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I was wonder about the description on your about part is it important?
do you need to put certain things in it or can it just be anything?
does it contribute to anything in anyway?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The description is important. Write a clear and full description that is relevant to the video.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with EVO, I think you need a good description relevant and full of keywords. Just like the title & tags

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's the page people go to when they want to know more about your channel...So it a piece of real estate on your channel that you want to make use of...giving a brief description of what your channel is or your interest, what inspired you to start that channel anything connected to your channel will be better than just leaving it empty...people do read it trust me...

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I agree with @Boris Qs - People definitely read them - They aren't just there for SEO reasons.

It's where you put your crudentials. If I'm looking for information about a particular topic, let's say I'm getting into gardening and I'm looking for lots of advice, then if I find an interesting video about pruning plants, I might consider subbing. Before I do, I want to know what the creator's crudentials are. If I go to his about page and it's empty or not very detailed, I probably won't bother because I don't want to risk learning stuff from someone who isn't experienced. If however he's written that he has 10 years experience of gardening and he's won awards and maybe even studied horticulture, then I'm definitely subbing. Obv, that is relevant for a "how to" channel. For other channels, you should put a long bio about yourself that shows your personality and life experiences.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I do not really concentrate on description. I see large channels with just - Thank you for watching- on they description page. Youtube evaluation of your channel do not come from description page, this is only for people who really want to know more about you and it usually your competitors. :)

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do not really concentrate on description. I see large channels with just - Thank you for watching- on they description page. Youtube evaluation of your channel do not come from description page, this is only for people who really want to know more about you and it usually your competitors. :)
That's where you might be making a mistake...I look at it differently....Viewers sometimes want to know more about you and your channel....

Do you have other platforms outside of YouTube? (for example)

Other platform Were they can easily get updates of your newly posted content . Its not even about what the others are doing or what YouTube wants its about selling yourself or channel to your viewers...and that is a piece of web real-estate you can use...just my humble opinion.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's where you might be making a mistake...I look at it differently....Viewers sometimes want to know more about you and your channel....

Do you have other platforms outside of YouTube? (for example)

Other platform Were they can easily get updates of your newly posted content . Its not even about what the others are doing or what YouTube wants its about selling yourself or channel to your viewers...and that is a piece of web real-estate you can use...just my humble opinion.
I use twitter.

Kinan Media

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here are five pointers when creating a description for your video
1. Concise Descriptions Always Work
Even though YouTube has a 5,000 character limit for descriptions, you don’t need to write a whole essay in order to explain your video. In fact, the video should explain itself. What you can do is give a brief summary about your video no more than a couple of paragraphs long. The more concise and compelling you make your description, the more people will want to watch your video
2. It Has To Be Searchable
Besides keeping your video’s description short and compelling, the description must be searchable. For example, if your video is a rant about Facebook’s new hashtag feature, the keywords “Facebook” and “hashtag” should be prominent in your video’s description. If you need help with finding the right keywords for your description, use Google’s AdWords Keyword Tool. These keywords will help search engines index your video properly.
3. Use Links Extensively
Links are especially important for your description as it should be a way to promote your other videos and drive traffic to your other social media networks. If your video is part of a series, make sure you direct viewers to the other videos by providing links to them.
4. Timestamps Can Be Your Trusty Friend
This feature is especially useful for longer step-by-step videos or if you have a special announcement at a certain part of the video. For example, if you’re trying to redirect your viewers to step 5 on the 12:00 mark, just type the timestamp 12:00 into the description. It will automatically link to that place in the video.
5. Give Credit Where Credit’s Due
If it’s not already in your video because of time constraints or other reasons, you should definitely give a shout out to the people you’ve collaborated with or helped with your video (e.g. director, cinematographer, makeup, etc.). If they have a YouTube channel or a website, definitely share your collaborators’ links.

Ok, God Bless You

Reactions: DayaVera