Reaction score
You got a great voice!
Although covers may get you in trouble down the road, just sayin'

RogueNinja

Reviewer, no longer gaming :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
good going but you should be fine as long as you fully credit who you cover and state you are using their music under the fair use law, for parody or cover purposes only. :)

Bebo Sings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah i did ask for permission to use the instrumental ^_^ and she said do what ever u wanna do :D[DOUBLEPOST=1355074462,1355074221][/DOUBLEPOST]@Freebie Can u tell me what i gotta do then ^_^

unknown_user00005

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
good going but you should be fine as long as you fully credit who you cover and state you are using their music under the fair use law, for parody or cover purposes only. :)
This is why you do not take legal advice over the internet.
RogueNinja thinks that fair use is a statement you can use to abolish all legal responsibility.

HE IS DEAD WRONG.
Fair use is something you pay your lawyers tens of thousands of dollars to argue in your case once you'd been sued by EMI for $2,000,000 for sampling that Katy Perry song two years ago in which you made a few bucks in ad revenue.
The onus is on you, there is no "fair use" law.
There is a copyright law, and there is a fair use EXCEPTION which the onus is on you to prove that you used and met all criteria of this exception. You'll be 10-50k in debt before you even say your first word in court.

I'm not one to go around calling people out, but you simply cannot go around giving false legal advice.
It's not only useless, but it could drastically effect someones life down the road.
Please at least look up what you are preaching, you are not even remotely close to being correct in any part of that statement.

No disrespect intended,
- Mitch

unknown_user00005

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It's no problem, I actually misunderstood copyright law and lost my first youtube account (non-music) because of it (We got a copyright strike, and could not get partnered).

Fair use is something i'd stay FAR away from. in my case we promote free music - I ensure all tracks are cleared 100% by the author (written permission, via email) and I listen to the track and do some background digging to see if any part of it uses samples. Unlike a lot of other channels we do not advertise Copyright Free (there is no such thing, only royalty free) and we do not host remixes. It's simply not legal to do so, I would be profiting off another persons work without permission.

If you were going to get into fair use and covers, i'd do parodies.
You'd more than likely be fine if you produced your own beat and wrote your own lyrics; such as in this video here:

Now if you are a numbers person,
The odds of getting a content id match is low,
The odds of getting a copyright strike is much lower,
The odds of getting a cease and desist letter is much lower than that,
The odds of sitting in court with EMI is practically non-existant, but possible none-the-less.

RogueNinja

Reviewer, no longer gaming :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Please do not speak for me or state what i think, i in no way said these would abolish all legal responsibility, What i suggested is things to put when you are doing covers or parodies un-monetized that i have seen large channels using to stop copyright id claims against a channel. In future try to be more sociable, im not a child i do not need someone to tell me what im thinking or trying to say

unknown_user00005

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I do realize you are just seeking a response, but what the hell.

You stated, and I quote:
"..you should be fine as long as you fully credit who you cover and state you are using their music under the fair use law, for parody or cover purposes only."
End Quote

OP only stated "
Can u guys check my youtube covers and subscribe plz

^_^"

I then replied, "Although covers may get you in trouble down the road, just sayin' "

Therefor one would assume your comment immediately succeeding "..you should be fine as long as.." would be in reply to my comment "..may get in you trouble down the road.."

I then called out how absolutely false your statement was, there was not one part of truth in your reply.
A reasonable person would then assume you were attempting to give false legal advice because there was no other relevant text in this thread, I then wrote what I did to clarify it for the OP.

It's nothing personal, and like I said I mean no disrespect.
I've been given similar false advice, and when I found out what you also agree to be true was indeed false, it was too late.

You can chalk it up as a lesson learnt, instead seeing it as a personal attack.
- Mitch

PS: Your channel is great RogueNinja, i've subscribed!