YouTube contacts suck!

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Oh gosh, I hate the whole "contact" concept. It's just a way for people to poke you and say, "hey, I exist and you should subscribe to me!" without doing any work. It's not a mutual, let's check out each other's channels thing. It's completely one-sided. Grrr.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Hmmm... this leads me to believe you guys have tried messaging your contacts. I always add them and have said once I come out with a video that I think is just undeinably my best I was going to send it to all of their inboxes and just see what happens... you know, you guys say it's just a way to spam, but some of our forum members who've taken an interest in me add me as a contact and they certainly werent spamming, could simply be so you're easier to message, lest we forget when you add someone as a contact it now suggests them when you type the first letter of their name and they're in your address book. So I wouldn't consider this so cut and dry.

SamaJaffa

Just some E[PIC]nglish guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This one guy actually messaged me and said "yes this is spam, but at least i'm being honest." it doesn't make it a good thing -_- but yeah, contacts are useless. You might as well subscribe if you're going to add me as a contact XD

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hmmm... this leads me to believe you guys have tried messaging your contacts. I always add them and have said once I come out with a video that I think is just undeinably my best I was going to send it to all of their inboxes and just see what happens... you know, you guys say it's just a way to spam, but some of our forum members who've taken an interest in me add me as a contact and they certainly werent spamming, could simply be so you're easier to message, lest we forget when you add someone as a contact it now suggests them when you type the first letter of their name and they're in your address book. So I wouldn't consider this so cut and dry.
I'd say in this case, contacts are actually a useful feature (and I was wondering why some people would show up when I typed their name and other people wouldn't). However, most people use it as a way to get their channel noticed by a ton of other people, with no interest in messaging them, becoming friends, etc. It is definitely considered spamming if used like that.

Reactions: Symph

thecomputertips

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
i normally just add them and once in a while send them all a video i made.

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
i normally just add them and once in a while send them all a video i made.
well then you're the man to talk to about this, do any of them seem to pay attention to your video?

IsntChrisL

Easily Distracted
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
That's a decent way of looking at it. I just haven't received any contact requests from such people.

Reactions: Symph

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
That's a decent way of looking at it. I just haven't received any contact requests from such people.
I certainly can't say it's happened very often, but it has happened, so maybe it's safe to assume MOST of your contacts are in it for themselves, but they can't ALL be.

Reactions: IsntChrisL