YouTube can be such a lottery

Steve0192

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I do my best to optimise all of my videos, keywords thumbnails etc. but actually I find it impossible to predict whether a particular video is going to be popular or not.

Here's a case in point, I posted this back in April and you can see the typical behaviour of a video that goes nowhere, then suddenly in November it takes off!

upload_2017-12-8_8-30-5.png

This is why I feel like making videos is like buying a lottery ticket, the more you buy the more chance you have, but who knows which one will be a winner.

Steve

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What video is it? Is it relevant to anything that has happened recently?

Steve0192

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
What video is it? Is it relevant to anything that has happened recently?
No, its just an instructional video where I demonstrate all 7 positions of the 3 note-per-string scale. It just seems to have started placing in "Suggested Videos" in a way that it never had in the past.

I've posted similar videos recently, but they haven't picked up in the same way.

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did it start to take off when all of the videos starting dissapearing from kids channels?
I had the same thing and it seemed to coincide.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do my best to optimise all of my videos, keywords thumbnails etc. but actually I find it impossible to predict whether a particular video is going to be popular or not.

Here's a case in point, I posted this back in April and you can see the typical behaviour of a video that goes nowhere, then suddenly in November it takes off!

View attachment 41504

This is why I feel like making videos is like buying a lottery ticket, the more you buy the more chance you have, but who knows which one will be a winner.

Steve
Did u do anything in between the upload time and went when it went off in nov?

For example you had an increase in subs or you were promoting that one video

Maybe someone famous made a comment about that 3 note per string scale and everyone started searching for it

Steve0192

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Did it start to take off when all of the videos starting dissapearing from kids channels?
I had the same thing and it seemed to coincide.
I'm not sure, there was a rumble of something happening in October, the first big spike was on the 16th Nov. It's hard to see how the 2 things are related though as my subject matter is very different.[DOUBLEPOST=1512745303,1512744967][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did u do anything in between the upload time and went when it went off in nov?

For example you had an increase in subs or you were promoting that one video

Maybe someone famous made a comment about that 3 note per string scale and everyone started searching for it
No nothing. I dont bother changing any metadata in old videos as it's never seemed to help when I've tried it in the past.

I did wonder whether it was because it is showing up in Search, but when I checked Analytics the boost is coming from "Suggested Videos" So YouTube must have decided to place it much more highly next to other videos.

All I can think is that YouTube must have tweaked the algorithm again and I benefited this time.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lets of weird things are happening right now, that's for sure.

Can you see which videos are suggesting it?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

View attachment 41504

Steve
Agreed - I have may videos of the same pattern.

Reactions: Steve0192

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This gives me hope! It's good to see that old videos can suddenly catch fire! I wonder how the algorithm changes to give your videos more exposure, the YouTube algorithm makes the Google search algorithm look like child's play!