YouTube announces new metrics & changes to analytics

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Source: https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/03/youtube-studio-better-insights-new.html

YouTube is rebranding "Creator Studio" and renaming it "YouTube studio" with 3 important changes.

In the next several weeks, YouTube Studio will be the default display for users, the company said in a blog post — though creators will have the option to revert to the old Creator Studio format if they so choose.

The three new metrics that the Studio app will soon offer include: ‘impressions’, ‘impressions click-through rate’, and ‘unique viewers’. An impression occurs whenever a viewer sees a creator’s thumbnail on YouTube — including on the homepage, subscription feed, search, or ‘Up Next’ section, according to the company (see below). Impressions click-through rate, however, shows the percentage of impressions that turned into views. YouTube notes that optimizing titles and thumbnails can help improve this latter figure.

Moving forward, you’ll see three new metrics in YouTube Analytics – Impressions, Impressions click-through rate, and Unique Viewers – that give a deeper understanding of your reach on YouTube. These new metrics are rolling out to a small group of creators today and will be available to everyone in YouTube Studio within a few weeks. A couple of weeks after that they will be available in Creator Studio Classic.

Impressions An Impression is counted when a viewer on YouTube sees one of your video thumbnails. Impressions tell you the potential reach of your content on YouTube, since each impression is an opportunity to earn a view.

Impressions click-through rate We’re also adding Impressions click-through rate, which shows you the percentage of your impressions on YouTube that turned into views. Different factors affect your click-through rate. For example, effective thumbnails and titles that attract your target audience may drive this rate up. This metric can help you make more informed decisions on how to optimize your titles and thumbnails, especially when you look at how this metric changes between past videos. For more best practices, we recommend you read this help center article. Unique viewers Unique viewers shows the estimated number of different people who watch your videos over a period of time. Whether they watch on desktop, mobile phone or watched more than one of your videos, that person will count as one unique viewer. You can use this data to compare your audience size to your subscriber base, and identify videos that helped reach a wider audience. This information can also help guide your content strategy, and showcase your true reach when discussing brand deals and sponsorships.

For the full article on the Youtube blog: https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/03/youtube-studio-better-insights-new.html

I think these changes are very good, particularly the impressions and click through rate. It's a great way to improve thumbnails IMHO.

Thoughts?

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Fantastic.
At least now you'll know for sure whether Youtube is promoting your video or not.

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don’t know how to feel about this. Anything youtube touches seems to die or beg for death.

So I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait and see! :D

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
They are clearly moving toward more Google Analytics (YouTube Analytics was always a heavily truncated version of Google Analytics). Obviously YouTube decided to give some more useful info to creators.

Reactions: Crown

Kwantabile

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
That sounds amazing (even if I don't have enough knowledge to properly use analytics, yet)!

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmm... Could be interesting to see those bits of information. Impressions and Impressions click through rate catches my eye the most. That could really help with knowing if your thumbnails/titles work or not

FireShock

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Sounds like an interesting new tool, if they implement it well within YT's system in place already. It could be a good tool to help understand why people click on ur video from the first impression of the title and thumbnail. Although, I hope it also help get rid of those clickbait title and thumbnails on vids maybe.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Can't wait to analyze the impression click-through rate! Actually one of the most important indicators.

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
This is super exciting, I tested the beta and really liked it so I'm excited to play around with it more now that it's fully fleshed out!