YouTube announces more monetization methods

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
At VidCon last night, YouTube's Chief product officer, Neal Mohan, announced a few new ways for YouTuber's to make money from their YouTube channel: Super Stickers, more channel membership levels and more merchandising options:

Super Stickers

Super Chat, which lets viewers pay to shout out a message during a creator’s livestream, is now the No. 1 revenue stream on YouTube for nearly 20,000 channels, Mohan wrote. More than 90,000 channels total have received Super Chat messages, with some creators bringing in as much as $400 per minute.

YouTube is pushing this success by expanding Super Chat with Super Stickers. This new feature will roll out in the coming months, and will let viewers purchase animated stickers with imagery from categories like gaming, fashion and beauty, sports, music, and food. Like Super Chat messages, Super Stickers will pop up prominently during the creators’ livestreams, so all those watching will know who sent what.

For the rest of the article / sources:

Tubefilter: https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/07/11/vidcon-youtube-monetization-for-creators-channel-membership-levels-super-stickers-merch-shelves/

YouTube's blog : https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/07/live-from-vidcon-creating-new.html

Those Super Stickers look pretty cool. I can't believe some creators are earning $400 per minute !! Thoughts?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It seems Youtube is getting closer and closer to Twitch, that is after all its main competitor. The future is livestreaming it seems.
Yeah that does seem to be the direction they're heading.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
hmm.. great for big channels that already have more ways to monetise than smaller toobers.

PaoloM

Reaction score
So first they limit people and to curb unhappiness (to say the least) they hand out a few perks?

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
what about actual creators, not just live streamers? A live streamer can't create edited content cause it's all live.
Streamers are creators though, whether they edit or not. If you look at it from a simple platform retention perspective, streamers will keep viewers on YT much longer than most creators will, which is A+ in YouTube's books. These monetization options is specifically to cater to livestream services. Although that does not appeal to all creators, it makes sense. They still offer "join" options for some creators that are not streamers.

Either way, if you're a regular content creator, you shouldn't rely on views/adsense for your main source of income.

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
More than 90,000 channels total have received Super Chat messages, with some creators bringing in as much as $400 per minute.
I wonder if they are getting this amount from youtubers that are running live charity streams like jacksepticeye and markiplier? The money is being generated through their channels however it is going direct to charity funds and they raise huge amounts on a regular basis for different charities.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
More the merrier. :up2: Apparently I qualify for the channel membership thing now, so I might look into that.