YouTube announces 3 new potential punishments

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
From YouTube's blog: https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/02/preventing-harm-to-broader-youtube.html

Recently, we faced situations where the egregious actions of a handful of YouTubers harmed the reputation of the broader creator community among advertisers, the media industry and most importantly, the general public. In light of this behavior—and our commitment to tighten our policies and communicate them more quickly and transparently—we’re introducing new consequences to apply in the rare event when one creator’s actions harm the entire community. When one creator does something particularly blatant—like conducts a heinous prank where people are traumatized, promotes violence or hate toward a group, demonstrates cruelty, or sensationalizes the pain of others in an attempt to gain views or subscribers—it can cause lasting damage to the community, including viewers, creators and the outside world. That damage can have real-world consequences not only to users, but also to other creators, leading to missed creative opportunities, lost revenue and serious harm to your livelihoods. That’s why it’s critical to ensure that the actions of a few don’t impact the 99.9 percent of you who use your channels to connect with your fans or build thriving businesses. We’ve long had a set of Community Guidelines that act as rules of the road for what creators can share on our platform and a set of Ad-Friendly Guidelines for what they can monetize. We also have a system of strikes we use to enforce those guidelines which can ultimately result in a channel’s termination. But in very rare instances, we need a broader set of tools at our disposal that can be used more quickly and effectively than the current system of guidelines and strikes. Today, we’re outlining additional steps we may take beyond our current strike systems when channels upload videos that result in widespread harm to our community of creators, viewers and advertisers.

1. Premium Monetization Programs, Promotion and Content Development Partnerships. We may remove a channel from Google Preferred and also suspend, cancel or remove a creator’s YouTube Original.
  2. Monetization and Creator Support Privileges. We may suspend a channel’s ability to serve ads, ability to earn revenue and potentially remove a channel from the YouTube Partner Program, including creator support and access to our YouTube Spaces.
  3. Video Recommendations. We may remove a channel’s eligibility to be recommended on YouTube, such as appearing on our home page, trending tab or watch next.
In the past, we felt our responses to some of these situations were slow and didn’t always address our broader community’s concerns. Our ultimate goal here is to streamline our response so we can make better, faster decisions and communicate them clearly. We believe strongly in the freedom of expression and we know that the overwhelming majority of you follow the guidelines and understand that you’re part of a large, influential, and interconnected community. But we also know that we have a responsibility to protect the entire community of creators, viewers, and advertisers from these rare but often damaging situations. We expect to issue these new consequences only in a rare handful of egregious cases, but hope they will help us prevent the actions of a few from harming the broader community. Ariel Bardin, Vice President of Product Management at YouTube

Thoughts?

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'm a big fan of these changes personally. I'm hoping this will allow good creators to stand out, and really punish "bad" creators. Or at least cause them to create slightly more "ethical" and interesting content.

I think the biggest kick to large creators is going to be the inability to have their videos recommended alongside other videos. It will definitely slow the growth rate of their community which will be good for smaller creators who have more relevant content being showed alongside other creators videos.

Reactions: chottom and Crown

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
While people want to lower the hatchet, it's also YouTube's fault for not having a more clear Terms Of Service. These new rules will make it easier for YouTube to enforce discipline.

Now weather they actually do so is a different story. It's obvious that they are also trying to protect their cash cow.

Reactions: Crown and chottom

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm a fan - I think it helps creators to understand where they stand, and put a bit more thought into content instead of just "how do I manipulate the algorithm and/or people's curiosity to just rack-up views in order to rack up $".

Paul Logan's video had a lot of people searching for it, regardless of a huge number of them being offended by the content that was wrong and distasteful.

However, I feel that these new guidelines and processes will change the mindset of creators a bit, as well as give Google a template to handle situations with (should they need to) - and ultimately this will drive the quality of content and channels up, which will create more engaged viewers/users/visitors, and advertisers will then have more engaged viewers on better quality content. It's a win-win-win from where I'm sitting!

This has to be a good thing?

Reactions: Crown

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Better 5 years late than never...

The best and only way to reign in creators is to control the $$$ flow. Threaten to cut $$$ and everyone will be a whipped puppy falling in line. Number (1) and (2) will do it.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it's helpful that they are taking extra steps, I just wonder how effective it'll be in the long run. How many creators will get caught up in some sweep that doesn't actually capture real violations, and who gets by because they're big enough for YouTube to turn a blind eye.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Not being suggested is the death of any channel. Looks like a shadow ban actually. But if your videos don’t show up no one will know it’s there

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

sirbestow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Something different than - "Someone else effed up, so all of you will pay except for them"? Maybe some progress...

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Those punishment make more sense than mass demonetization for tons of people that had nothing to do with it. And while the terms of service could have been more clear... I think it's common sense to not make a video about tasing dead animals, especially if you're a big time Youtuber and all eyes are on you.

I kinda wish these new rules would top the mass demonetization. I mean... it's still a few days til the 20th, not too late to stop it now.