YouTube Alternatives?

CrypticEdge

Reaction score
Now I know this is a YouTube based forum so to start this off talking about alternatives is a bit ambitious. Don't get me wrong I love YouTube, or at least the concept. I simply think it could be carried out way better. With all the recent algorithm changes it is impossible to admit that YouTube is going downhill. Currently, I mainly stream on my channel. I am switching over to a mixture of streams and scheduled videos and I was wondering if there were video based sites that would be good to upload my videos to as well. I by no means plan to stop YouTube, but I'm curious if there's other sites that have potential that I could be talking advantage of. Certainly the original creators on YouTube at one time took this challenge when youtube was still a small site. Thanks to anyone who has any recommendations and the best of luck to everyone with their channels!!

CrypticEdge[DOUBLEPOST=1512892372,1512892250][/DOUBLEPOST]I meant it's impossible to admit that YouTube isn't going downhill but for some reason it's not editing the thread.

NocturnalGTX

NocturnalGTX
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Of what I know, the only competitor to YouTube was Vidme but that shutdown just a few days ago, lol. YouTube might somewhat be going downhill with all the recent chaos and the adpocalypse, but for the time being its here to stay. As you said the only viable alternative is going to streaming sites like twitch and so on.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Daily motion, Vimeo twitch, that’s about it. But none of them really have the “go to site” power YouTube has. The idea of creating an alternative site to give video makers more money or freedom isn’t working. A better way would be a reason for the 1billion viewers a day to leave YouTube for something else

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube is still a pretty big platform and it’s getting bigger each year. I was watching a video where they were talking about I’m 2014 there was a dozen people with 1 million subscribers and now there’s a thousands of YouTube channels with over 1 million subscribers. For right now there really is no alternatives to YouTube.

Justin West

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Have you considered making your own website/vlog and using YouTube as an SEO tool to push traffic there?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Here's the thing about a competitor to YouTube. It's pretty much impossible. Google is this massive corporation who has a lot of money, resources, etc. And they run YouTube at a loss. YouTube costs them more money than what it's worth. They pretty much keep it for sentimental reasons and the hope that it'll eventually become profitable. We saw this with Vidme. Vidme doesn't have the resources and financial backing to keep up with advertiser demands. They pretty much tried to capitalize on the Adpocalypse by saying 'Hey, it's better over here', but it didn't really work out in the end. Twitch is probably the closest you're going to get, and since you already have experience streaming, it shouldn't be too different than what you're used to. The only problem I have with Twitch is how unequally they treat their creators. YouTube screws over everyone equally. Twitch picks favorites.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is no competition for YouTube. There are a few small platforms but none of them will ever take over.
Only Amazon or Facebook have the power currently to come up with a competing platform. If one of those ever create something similar - jump on it.

CrypticEdge

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses I'll just stick to Youtube and Twitch for now until something else that has a chance happens.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Daily motion, Vimeo twitch, that’s about it. But none of them really have the “go to site” power YouTube has. The idea of creating an alternative site to give video makers more money or freedom isn’t working. A better way would be a reason for the 1billion viewers a day to leave YouTube for something else
What would make viewers watch another site? Tech aside, the only thing I can think of is the site would have content they would want to see that isn't available here. That means lax guidelines for creators. Revenue wise, some verticals are not as money driven as others, some I assume would be more interested in brand deals, exposure, linking to more external sites for marketing. I could see other ad networks apart from adwords being integrated, adwords isn't the only player in town.[DOUBLEPOST=1513766325,1513765122][/DOUBLEPOST]
Here's the thing about a competitor to YouTube. It's pretty much impossible. Google is this massive corporation who has a lot of money, resources, etc. And they run YouTube at a loss. YouTube costs them more money than what it's worth. They pretty much keep it for sentimental reasons and the hope that it'll eventually become profitable. We saw this with Vidme. Vidme doesn't have the resources and financial backing to keep up with advertiser demands. They pretty much tried to capitalize on the Adpocalypse by saying 'Hey, it's better over here', but it didn't really work out in the end. Twitch is probably the closest you're going to get, and since you already have experience streaming, it shouldn't be too different than what you're used to. The only problem I have with Twitch is how unequally they treat their creators. YouTube screws over everyone equally. Twitch picks favorites.
Google/Alphabet is the epitome of a monopolist. A monopolist doesn't operate for sentimental reasons. Google's sole purpose of controlling Youtube is to control the market for serving ads in, before, and around videos. As long as they monopolize the video space, adwords will maintain its position as the dominant ad network. It's nothing about sentiment and all to do with cold hard cash. Google & Youtube will screw creators left right and centre to maintain themselves as the #1 ad network for advertisers.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Google/Alphabet is the epitome of a monopolist. A monopolist doesn't operate for sentimental reasons. Google's sole purpose of controlling Youtube is to control the market for serving ads in, before, and around videos. As long as they monopolize the video space, adwords will maintain its position as the dominant ad network. It's nothing about sentiment and all to do with cold hard cash. Google & Youtube will screw creators left right and centre to maintain themselves as the #1 ad network for advertisers.
Actually YouTube doesn't want to screw creators, but they'll do it if that's what's needed to keep the business viable and going. They want to earn money and the most profitable way to do it for now is to gather creators with the revenue share model. It works for 10+ years now, not as much as AdSense itself, but it's proven to work. It happens sometimes a mess arises, but they do their best to calm it down and have as many advertisers (the ones that pay most of the bills) as possible. You can read some first hand information on reddit where a YouTube employee did an AMA yesterday and shared many details of the current situation and the future.