YouTube Algorithm

sadiemarie88

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is anyone aware of how exactly the YouTube algorithm works and what can be done to improve upon it?

I have read that views are less important and it is more about watch time. Well my videos tend to get 1-2 minutes of watch time on average. Even lately with posting vids that are 10-15 minutes or longer.

What can I and what do you do to improve watch time along with other steps for the YouTube algorithm?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
keeping viewers attention is probably one of the hardest things

when you look at each video analytics you will see Audience retention chart, maybe that will help

Giz Edwards

Reaction score
Website
www.clipshare.co.uk
No one knows about the details. People can make educated assumptions.

Yes watch time and retention time is important. However, I think that more important is audience engagement. If you have a smaller, really engaging audience, it is soooo much more powerful than... a large channel that has no audience interaction.

If you are thinking about trying to grow your audience. Look after the subscribers you have and create content for them. Naturally this will grow your audience.

You can do other things too, such as create micro content for social media kinda like 'Gary Vee' or 'ClipShare. and you can also do key word search. To see the trends on google searches to create content that is in the same area as you.

GCPA

Reaction score
I've been aiming to upload at least 5min videos to keep the viewers on there as long as possible. Of course there is no guarantee they'll stick around for the whole time, but if the content is useful - and you prove it at start - you may hook them for longer time.