Youtube Algorithm?

Reaction score
Has anyone cracked the code of Youtube? I don't understand why one of my videos will get 800 views, then another one that's no different gets 40,000 views and airs on the Discovery Channel?

The dumbest video I uploaded skyrocketed to almost 8,000,000 views. Its very frustrating to make a quality video that goes nowhere, and then a dumb one blow up. I upload a video of parachuting off a bridge, or fighting off sharks underwater and get nothing. I upload a video of a stupid sea urchin and get 8 million views. What gives?!

Last edited:

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Idk man.. i don't think anyone gets youtube algorithm. I'm pretty sure YouTube Employees don't even get the algorithm lol

Reactions: OldNotDead

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Has anyone cracked the code of Youtube? I don't understand why one of my videos will get 800 views, then another one that's no different gets 40,000 views and airs on the Discovery Channel?

The dumbest video I uploaded skyrocketed to almost 8,000,000 views. Its very frustrating to make a quality video that goes nowhere, and then a dumb one blow up. I upload a video of parachuting off a bridge, or fighting off sharks underwater and get nothing. I upload a video of a stupid sea urchin and get 8 million views. What gives?!
I think You Tube changes that algorithm every day and possibly twice a day. LOL.

Reactions: PopsLetsPlay
Reaction score
Haha they might, but that 8,000,000 view one keeps growing. For some reason they must pop it up in the recommended section a lot. Now if only I could figure out WHY

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha they might, but that 8,000,000 view one keeps growing. For some reason they must pop it up in the recommended section a lot. Now if only I could figure out WHY
Just checked out that video....sea urchin,,,,wow, who would have thought? What are some of your tags in there? Anything similar to your 8,000,000 video? Hell, cut and paste the tags and see how the other videos do. LOL

Reaction score
Just checked out that video....sea urchin,,,,wow, who would have thought? What are some of your tags in there? Anything similar to your 8,000,000 video? Hell, cut and paste the tags and see how the other videos do. LOL
I cannot figure out WHY. There are ZERO tags in it. One day it just started rising to over 100k views, and just kept growing and growing. I made almost $5,000.00 of that stupid video.

On the new videos I tag a bunch, come up with something I can't find already on Youtube, make a fancy thumbnail, catchy title...and rarely will one get above a few thousand views. 11k subs and no one engages. I've checked out analytics...no pattern. For some reason Youtube just likes to push THAT video.

Check out my home page video on the BASE jumping trip. I put so much time into that editing, not to mention all the jumping etc. I thought my video was epic, and was more proud of it than any other. 1 year later I barely broke 1,000 views.

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I cannot figure out WHY. There are ZERO tags in it. One day it just started rising to over 100k views, and just kept growing and growing. I made almost $5,000.00 of that stupid video.

On the new videos I tag a bunch, come up with something I can't find already on Youtube, make a fancy thumbnail, catchy title...and rarely will one get above a few thousand views. 11k subs and no one engages. I've checked out analytics...no pattern. For some reason Youtube just likes to push THAT video.

Check out my home page video on the BASE jumping trip. I put so much time into that editing, not to mention all the jumping etc. I thought my video was epic, and was more proud of it than any other. 1 year later I barely broke 1,000 views.
I'm been doing this for almost a year and have only a few subs, but, the do engage and I engage with them. We comment, and like each others consistently. We all have different channel types and we are all slowly growing.

Saw your channel and the base jumping one is very entertaining. Does analytics show where most of the views are coming from on that sea urchin one? (there might be a hint there)

Cheers,
Scott

Reaction score
I'm been doing this for almost a year and have only a few subs, but, the do engage and I engage with them. We comment, and like each others consistently. We all have different channel types and we are all slowly growing.

Saw your channel and the base jumping one is very entertaining. Does analytics show where most of the views are coming from on that sea urchin one? (there might be a hint there)

Cheers,
Scott
Yeah, Mostly US with some in Indonesia. I figured most would be in Asia, but it seems the majority of viewers are young people that have no idea how they got to that video. Another hint at some weird algorithm haha.

Side note, you have killer thumbs. I'm surprised you don't have more views. Youtube is confusing.

Attachments

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, Mostly US with some in Indonesia. I figured most would be in Asia, but it seems the majority of viewers are young people that have no idea how they got to that video. Another hint at some weird algorithm haha.

Side note, you have killer thumbs. I'm surprised you don't have more views. Youtube is confusing.
Thanks, I am working hard on the channel now. I will just keep plugging itl. Hopefully it will take off like your sea urchin video! LOL. (watch out Neistat...lol)
I thought Asia would have been where the hits would come from too. Do you share a lot on social media?

Reaction score
Thanks, I am working hard on the channel now. I will just keep plugging itl. Hopefully it will take off like your sea urchin video! LOL. (watch out Neistat...lol)
I thought Asia would have been where the hits would come from too. Do you share a lot on social media?
New videos, yes. They get shared to associated sites-Spearfishing videos to spear boards, etc.

I even tried uploading more unique tutorials, like fish skull taxidermy. No luck.

For that matter... I also had a unique video start going up 30k+ views, but had copyrighted music. So I took it down and re uploaded with accepted music. It never went up again. Same exact video. How to crack the code of what makes Youtube push certain ones....