YouTube adds new details of tougher monetization policy

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi all, what do you think of the below new tougher YouTube policy of what will not be monetized.

The new guidelines, according to YouTube VP of product management Ariel Bardin, “take a tougher stance” on:

Hateful content: Content that promotes discrimination or disparages or humiliates an individual or group of people on the basis of the individual’s or group’s race, ethnicity, or ethnic origin, nationality, religion, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristic associated with systematic discrimination or marginalization.

Inappropriate use of family entertainment characters: Content that depicts family entertainment characters engaged in violent, sexual, vile, or otherwise inappropriate behavior, even if done for comedic or satirical purposes.

Incendiary and demeaning content: Content that is gratuitously incendiary, inflammatory, or demeaning. For example, video content that uses gratuitously disrespectful language that shames or insults an individual or group.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
That's rough. I can see why Youtube would make it's guidelines for monetization rougher but these don't explain reviews or comedy. So a comedic web-series that has cartoon-like violence can now no longer earn monetization because it's going to be seen as violent or demeaning? Since it contains curse words?

These rules really make me concerned for some creators that I adore and follow. =[ Especially since these rules can be taken out of context.

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What really concerns me is the family entertainment characters rule. What about memes? You know, like Shrek (Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life) or the Bee Movie? Or even Robbie Rotten? A lot of people like to reference the memes surrounding them, so if they're a satire channel, and they decide to reference one of these memes, who are family entertainment characters, isn't their video going to be taken out of context and demonetized?

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think there's also a lot of worry (that I've read in other groups and forums) that swearing in general is going to be penalised, nevermind that real people swear.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
In my view it makes sense, except for the second point.
If characters are used for claerly comedic or satirical purposes, it shouldn't be demonetized. Even if I'm not doing anything like that, I think it's sad as there is a lot of creativity and work behind this stuff - of course not in everyones videos, but there are a lot.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
gg DramaAlert, Leafy and all the copycat clones.
Literally. As if they weren't dead enough, this is going to completely destroy their channels. I will admit, I'm kinda curious to see how everyone's going to try to change, though.

Reactions: Crown

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Since I am family friendly and don't engage in any content that would be deemed inappropriate or not advertiser friendly, I could really care less about the new rules. Quite frankly, I think there is a lot of content on YouTube that just shouldn't exist at all. I don't know how much of it is from people trying to cash in or if this will deter such content in the long run. Probably not.

Reactions: Painter and Crown

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I don't like this at all. This will destroy whole genres of content. My channels are tame, so personally I don't think it will effect me, but it will effect things I watch. Things like roasts, where people insult their friends would break most of these rules. Also battle rap would break most of these rules.

They should just sort the videos better and let advertisers choose the types of videos they want to advertise on. Of course everyone is offended by different things, but by demonitizing so many things they're going to send people away from YouTube.

Reactions: Lekjih

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Wow to the Family Entertainment rule. So I guess no more parody videos where normally lovable characters like Mario swear and act like jerks.

This will also ruin rant videos with all the cursing and screaming. So if we make videos ranting on Game Stop or game companies that overdo the DLC, do those also get demonetized because we're insulting companies?