Your Video Idea Process?

Azreeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hey, so on thing I'm always interested in is how other people come up with ideas for their videos.

Personally I don't have a single method, often I'll see videos I like and want to try something similar, or I'll be having a conversation with someone and suddenly think "this might make a good video", other times Ideas will come late at night while trying to sleep, but I'm yet to pin down a method that properly works for me.

While I was at Summer In The City, I asked KickThePj about his process and he said the majority of his ideas come from Free-writing, I'm yet to try it out, but it seems like a great method.

I've also heard MikeDiva just as a jar of bits of paper that has words on, and when he wants to make a video, he will pick out a few random words and develop an idea around them, another method I'm yet to try myself.

So I was just wondering how you guys go about coming up with ideas? do you have a special method you like to use?

spencer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I usually get inspiration or when I'm working I'll get a sudden idea pop into my head!

AlexUsedSplash

I write comedy and people tell me that it's funny.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
The Mike Diva thing actually sounds like something I should try out one day.

For me, I think of things that annoy me and turn it into a humorous jab. I want to start parodying adverts soon too.

Azreeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I usually get inspiration or when I'm working I'll get a sudden idea pop into my head!
Defiantly seems that when you're trying not to think of ideas (like when you're working, or when i'm trying to sleep) they seem to come. Really odd haha

The Mike Diva thing actually sounds like something I should try out one day.

For me, I think of things that annoy me and turn it into a humorous jab. I want to start parodying adverts soon too.
Thinking about it I have tried the MikeDiva thing and came up with a really good idea, I've just not got around to doing it yet! Give it a go, it's sort of like how the 48 hour films work, giving you restrictions to work around.

I remember you saying about cold callers annoying you, and I really liked how you made your new video, i think that style works very well for your idea process!

froandjoe

Perma-Facepalm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I have this issue with my photography, I'm loving that jar idea though. May have to use that in the future :p Most of my ideas for anything though, for some reason happen when I'm taking a shower. No idea why, just happens. It can be anything from a photo idea, to a life goal to one of those connect the dots moments.

You know the Scrubs epiphany toilet? Well I have an epiphany shower.

Itskamren

JEANYUSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
most of my video ideas I think of last minute for eg(two days before i have to shoot again) or also as you stated before ill be having conversations with people and I think of one.

AlexUsedSplash

I write comedy and people tell me that it's funny.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I just remembered I also create characters based around people who i hear talking on public transport. You have some right old characters travel on buses.

Yeah the cold caller thing had to become a video at some point!

Azreeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You know the Scrubs epiphany toilet? Well I have an epiphany shower.
Yes!! haha love the epiphany toilet! I've heard a lot of people have ideas in the shower, but it's never worked for me personally :( but if it works for you, brilliant! staying clean and being creative haha

most of my video ideas I think of last minute for eg(two days before i have to shoot again)
Yeah pressure and lack of time can be a big motivator for ideas (most of my essays are done this way haha)

I just remembered I also create characters based around people who i hear talking on public transport. You have some right old characters travel on buses.
Ohh, people watching, that's a good one, might have to give that a go! :)

JoeVisions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
My ideas generally come from life experiences, inspirations from movies/television, art/paintings, hearing conversations, news articles/stories.

Back in 2011, I challenged myself to make weekly videos but I would mostly think of the idea and film it the day before I upload it

Azreeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
My ideas generally come from life experiences, inspirations from movies/television, art/paintings, hearing conversations, news articles/stories.
News articles and stories is one I've never tried, will give it a go :)