Your opinion on different ways of recording

Hanne Verleysen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So yesterday I was listening to a cover someone uploaded on YouTube. The girl used the same technique as I often use (and a lot of other musician on YouTube do too): she first recorded her uke and voice and other instruments separately -to make sure the sound quality was as good as possible- and then filmed herself playing the song in a nice location, dubbing the audio she had previously recorded.
However, when I was scrolling through the comments, I stumbled upon this one:

May I give you my unsolicited advice? Play the song, just you and the uke, in front of a mic and camera. Don't overdub keyboards, bass, etc... We want to hear YOU, not your layers of recording. What you've done is fine if you want to make music videos. But if you want to showcase your talent as a musician, then you need to be authentic and play and record the instrument live. This is a lip-synched version of your recording with layers of unnecessary instrumentation.
And that made me wonder: is it better to focus on audio-quality and record everything separately or should we go for authenticity and record everything at once as the person in the comments said?

(not sure tho if this is the right place on the forum for this thread :s)