Your channel location, is it safe?

Acktomy

Reaction score
Can users find out the ip address or uploading location of your videos if they want to? If so, can you hide them safely?

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No they can't. However if you're worried about it, try not to mention your state or city in your videos.

Personally I don't care, but if there are people looking to get your info, so on then don't say anything that would even hint at your location.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
i live in chicago illinois come fight me

No, you’ll just get the IP of the video server that YouTube is using for that account, which doesn’t match where the owner is.

Reactions: nad

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
No, you’ll just get the IP of the video server that YouTube is using for that account, which doesn’t match where the owner is.
I'm actually kinda glad to hear that. Because I always figured if hackers really wanted to, they could use your social media accounts and get your IP Address from that and then dox you. If social media sites like YouTube use their own servers for the IP Address, then that is a really good thing for privacy. Do you know if the same or similar applies to Twitter or Facebook or other mainstream sites like that?

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm actually kinda glad to hear that. Because I always figured if hackers really wanted to, they could use your social media accounts and get your IP Address from that and then dox you. If social media sites like YouTube use their own servers for the IP Address, then that is a really good thing for privacy. Do you know if the same or similar applies to Twitter or Facebook or other mainstream sites like that?

Yes all are pretty much the same.. even if it wasn't and you COULD some way get someones IP address from Facebook, Twitter, etc., there is a high probability that they could not do anything with the information anyway.... I'll give you my IP right now and then change it in 5 minutes. And then again in 10... and so on.

Cidsa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Nobody is going to go through the trouble of finding you via YouTube this way, too much of a pain. It's actually far easier to figure out where someone lives by the trail they leave online.

If you're worried about being found, you need to check out everywhere you've used the same nickname, email(s), etc and make sure you haven't given it away anywhere. One of the biggest holes tends to be social media, specifically Facebook. If you've used the same nick or given links to your YT anywhere on there and it's not locked down tight, it's easy as pie to find your posts and then it's not much work to find all your info via your page or your friends' pages.

Reactions: Crown