You can now Change your Custom YouTube URL up to 3 times a Year

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can remove a custom URL from your channel up to 3 times per year. This deactivates the URL so that it no longer directs viewers to your channel.

1. Sign in to your Google Account and go to your About Me page.
  2. Select the account with your YouTube channel in the top right. You may have to click All of your Brand Accounts if your account is not in the list.
  3. Find your current custom URL under "Sites" and click edit
  4. Next to the URL you want to remove, click
  5. Click
If you're eligible, you can claim a new custom URL right away after removal, but it may take a couple of days before the previous custom URL stops directing to your channel.

You cannot claim a new custom URL from the “About me” page. If you want to claim a new custom URL, you need to meet the general eligibility requirements and follow the steps above.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

slayerkm

Daily Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Wow, i did not know this. This is really good to know if for any reason i need to change a url for any of my many channels.

Thanks for the update :)

Now i know the power is there it tempts me so bad hahaha! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for laying it out. However if im honest its not really good from the branding point of things to keep changing it. But if you have done a channel rebrand recently, im glad you are able to change the link. :)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Wow! Cool! : D I wonder when Google implemented this?! :eek: I'm definitely too scared to click the little x to see if I could change it, but it's neat to know it's there! ^^

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I got a custom url just a few weeks ago, and it said I would never be able to change it. When did they make this change? Must have been very recently.
I believe it was a only a couple of hours before I made the post so you are right, very recently. Welcome change for sure! I went ahead and tested it because I already had a custom url and it thankfully works as intended.

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
This is a great idea for a gateway video. How many times is it asked here and searched on google?? Clicky clicky!!

Reactions: Sk Jony

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good to know, I didn't know this! I'm not planning on changing my URL but if some reason I want to one day it's good to know that you're able to change it three times.

Rogpalmeruk

Reaction score
Excellent... thanks just changed mine... we rebranded the website years ago

paullaskovids

Well-rounded punk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian
So where do you go to claim a new custom URL? The conventional way through YouTube like the first time you did it?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the updated YouTube Help article about this. I'm glad this is official info, not some backdoor workaround. An interesting change. I didn't see much fanfare about it, I guess they did it kind of silently?